FreezerBurn [Berdly + Reader] [Deltarune]

Berdly + GN! Reader {Deltarune} {Freezer-burn AU}

The Freezer-burn idea belongs to fitzroythecreator on Tumblr!

Warning: Self-harm is mentioned and described - though not a big focus of the fic. Stay safe!

The classroom is quiet, far too quiet for comfort

[Y/N] stares at Berdly. By now, he'll already be reading out loud to the class, on the third page of a three-hundred-page book. But now, he isn't even looking at the book.

Berdly had a cold aura that threatened to drown everyone in the room if not careful enough. His boisterous voice, one eager to share his knowledge with the world, is reduced to nothing. [Y/N] is slowly watching their friend wither away.

They have been friends since, well, best to say forever. And never, within those years, had Berdly ever been considered quiet. [Y/N] had to talk to him.

The bells couldn't ring sooner, as everyone grabbed their stuff and left the class.

Only two people remained.

"Hey man," [Y/N] didn't fail to notice Berdly flinched when they touched his arm. "Just gonna' walk with you for a bit, if that's alright?" Berdly nodded, a blank expression masked his emotions. His apartment isn't too far away, just a few minutes from the school. But it felt like hours as the two shared an awkward silence.

"Oh hey, I finished reading those comics you gave me a few weeks ago, they were good," Finally said, swinging their bag forward. Aside from flinching once again, [that made [Y/N] feel awful] Berdly had no reaction. "Whelp, here you go," [Y/N] pulled the comics out of their bag and sent them to Berdly. Berdly ignores the comics, they are just silly picture books, after all, and continues walking.

Either he picked up his pace or [Y/N] slowed there's, neither of them cares at the moment.

"Don't think I don't notice," [Y/N] said, Berdly stopped but he didn't dare look back. Despite it being damn near Summer, the air is thick and its chill burns [Y/N] lungs. "Others may think otherwise but I ain't an idiot." [Y/N] voice is rough, trying to stay calm and not sob like a baby.

"I see you stab yourself with a pencil during class when you think no one's looking," No reaction."I know you purposely hit your arm against the wall, or slam it in the door, or- or,-" [Y/N] sighs, staring at the back of Berdly's head. "Please, tell me what to do to help," [Y/N] tears risk ruining their face, but they don't care.

Hell, it's the least of their worries. Berdly stands still for what seems like forever, thinking.

Do anything, feel anything.

Guilt, annoyance, anger, fear, just thing damn it.

Berdly pushes forward, leaving [Y/N] alone on the sidewalk. [Y/N] is shocked, heartbreaking in front of them when they realize they failed to save their friend.

But it's not just him. Everyone is acting strange. Susie, Noelle, and especially Kris. If [Y/N] can't save Berdly, then maybe they can save the others.

Before it's too late.