* ˚ ✦Chapter 2: Awakening* ˚ ✦

Art from official OMORI game.

・❥・・❥・・❥・・❥・・❥・

Basil noticed that Sunny entered the room. "Ah, Sunny! G-good to see you... as always..." Basil stood from his chair to give Sunny a warm welcome. Everyone else noticed Sunny. "Are you okay? You collapsed right after you brought Mari outside," Hero asked gently. Kel faced Sunny then exclaimed, "Yeah, I bet Aubrey's stinky odor made him faint!" Then he pointed at Aubrey angrily as he stuck his tongue out. "HEY!" Aubrey complained loudly, "You're the one who plays sports all day and sweats like crazy!" The two attempted to argue again, but thankfully, Hero managed. "You two, this isn't the right time. Shouldn't we let Mari have her peace while she's trying to recover?"

Aubrey and Kel's angry faces faded into empathetic expressions. "You're right," Aubrey said softly. "I guess..." Kel admitted, still upset about Mari's accident. Aubrey looked at Sunny and tried being positive, "Anyway, it's good to know you're not as injured as Mari, Sunny." Hero looked at Mari then back at Sunny. He sighed then asked, "How did this happen anyway? Are you both okay? Basil said there was a... staircase-incident." Sunny shook from the thought and stayed silent. He didn't feel like answering the question, so he just stepped forward to examine Mari. Her skin looked even paler than before. Her hair was quite messy, so Hero started finger-combing it. They're still saying they're not in love? In denial.

Her eyes were still closed, but one slightly open. Hold on...

"Doctor!" Hero quickly ran out of the room to call the professionals. It seemed like Mari was going to awaken soon. Aubrey and Kel ran to follow Hero, also trying to find adults. The only ones left in the room were Mari, Sunny, and Basil. An awkward silence fills the room. Neither Sunny or Basil were saying anything. They were just looking at Mari, examining her slightly open eye. It was quite strange to see only one eye opening... After what seemed like two strangely silent minutes, Basil struck a conversation. "Finally, it seems Mari's going to wake up after what seemed like forever..." Basil sighed, looking really tired. All he wanted was to play with Sunny, but instead he's in the hospital.

Sunny heard what Basil just said. "Forever?" he asked, curious, "How long was I out?" Sunny remembered he passed out, but now he's afraid of how long he had been unconscious. An hour? A day? A month? "J-just two hours, d-don't worry..." Basil replied. That was fine. It was two hours of free sleep.

Hero, Aubrey, and Kel entered the room together with a doctor and the same nurse that Sunny was with a while ago. The doctor rushed to check Mari's eye, and it seemed like she was... half conscious. If that was even possible. The doctor decided to bring Mari to another room to scan her using a CAT Scan again. Everyone else followed Mari and the staff to the scanning room.

While the staff scanned Mari, the gang was waiting outside

While the staff scanned Mari, the gang was waiting outside. "I really hope Mari's okay..." Aubrey prayed, "We were supposed to hang out at this time." She tried jumping to peek inside the window of the door. Hero smiled and asked, "What were you supposed to do with Mari today?" "Oh," Aubrey responded, "we were going to dye our hair together. Hers would have been purple, then mine, pink." Kel burst out laughing and replied, "Your hair but pink? Who knew you were such a sweetheart!" Aubrey pouted and stuck her tongue out to Kel, "you're always so mean to me!" Kel rolled his eyes and responded, "who said being a sweetheart was a bad thing?!" He stuck his tongue out at her in return.

"You two," Hero started, "always fighting in such adorable ways. But please, would Mari really want us to fight at this time?" Aubrey and Kel both sighed.

Sunny sat quietly on the bench beside the door. Basil noticed how Sunny felt... distraught. He took a seat beside him and held his hand. "A-are you okay?" Basil asked, a sweet smile on his face. Sunny didn't feel like answering again. "Well..." Basil continued, "Everything's going to be okay." Sunny knew he couldn't believe that. But hearing those words from a friend, from Basil especially, it felt comforting. Sunny loved his friends, he couldn't bear to lose them. But if Mari told everyone the truth... he would not only lose them. He'd lose himself. That's what made him anxious, some dark part of him inside doesn't even want Mari to wake up. He's afraid the truth would get out and destroy everything for him.

Mari and Sunny's parents couldn't be there though. As always, his mother is always out doing important things. And his dad... he doesn't even know where his father goes at this time. Their mother paid for the hospital bills, but she had to go again. So Hero volunteered to watch over Mari, even though Mari's father wasn't very thrilled with the idea. Basil looked at Sunny and decided to start another conversation, "Is your head okay?" Sunny didn't want to leave Basil unanswered too much, so he responded with a brief nod. This made Basil smile. He chuckled in return, "g-good to know!"

But his smile quickly faded...

"Hey, Sunny..." Basil mumbled, "I saw your violin... it broke." Sunny shuddered after hearing that. "Yes?" Sunny finally spoke. "I-I was just wondering..." Basil stammered, "Did something happen before she fell? You and Mari were supposed to play at the recital today, and it's happening as we speak..." Sunny suddenly remembered the recital. It had him shiver. "No," Sunny answered, "I... I'm not open about it... yet." Basil nodded, a sign that he understood how his best friend felt. Oh no, Sunny thought. If someone as timid and shy as Basil was brave enough to ask him about what happened, everyone else would be questioning the scene. His friends, his parents, the doctors, the police... He may not answer, but Mari could. But Mari wouldn't do that... right? No...

Just then, the doctor exits the room and finds them waiting outside. "Perfect timing, all of you," the doctor remarked. Hero stood up, eager for good news. "Well?" He waited for the doctor to update them. "Yes, you must be the patient's... boyfriend, I suppose?"

"HAHA-" Hero blushed and went really flustered for a second.

He cleared his throat and asked, "Is it good news?" The doctor nodded as a reply.

"She's awake."

ೃ⁀➷ೄྀ࿐ ˊˎ-﹥*:ꔫ:*+゚⍣ ೋ

Word Count: 1073 Words