Chapter Twelve (Edited)

My heart raced as I ran down a dark hall. Something was coming, it was right on my footsteps. I had to run faster, but my body was giving up on me. No. I had to keep going.

There were no doors in the halls I ran down, nor were there any windows or decorations on the walls. It was all black. My heart hammered. I needed to find an escape and I needed it fast.

And then I saw it. At the end of the hall, maybe twenty feet away, was a bright red door. My fingers clasped the handle, tearing it open and shutting within a second. Whatever monster was chasing me banged against it. I locked the door quickly, backing away slowly as the bangs grew louder. My eyes scanned the room for escape, but there was nothing.

And then there was a light. A small lamp, its beams shinning on a small creature with its back to me. A child. I walked over to it with my hand outstretched. I felt goosebumps and chills surge through me, but I kept going. The banging against the door started to fade as I neared the figure.

"Hello?" I asked, unsure of myself. The figure looked as if it tensed up at the sound of my voice. My instinct told me to stay away, but my curiosity egged me on. Still, I called out again. "Who are you?"

Still nothing. I was next to the figure now. I smelled a familiar scent that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

"Hey," I said, putting my hand on its shoulder. It swung its head in my direction. The breath left my lungs and I fell back and got away from it as much as possible. "No no no no no."

"Why did you let me die?" My brother asked. "This was all your fault. You weren't there. Everything you touch dies, Lease. I'm proof. You killed me. I'm dead."

"Noah?" I asked, my eyes brimming with tears. He was so right. It was all my fault. "I'm sorry, God I'm so-"

"It's too late for that," he said. "Maybe if you were stronger or better you could have kept me safe. It's all your fault."

He kept saying that, his voice getting deeper and louder and his eyes turning red. Soon it turned into a growling noise. Then, others appeared out of the darkness. Lucas, Lily, and everyone from my old groups. They charged at me and as I was surrounded by them, they stopped. Noah's eyes were black now, and a thick liquid erupted from his mouth. Blood.

And then the hands of my ghosts grabbed me, a slow harsh whisper the only thing I could hear in the terror.

"Just remember," it said. "It will always be your fault."

"Lease!" Liam said, gripping my shoulders. My eyes flew open. My skin was slick with sweat and I could feel my entire body shaking. I struggled to catch my breath, my body shaking even harder with every attempt.

"Excuse me," I forced out, scrambling to get up and to the bathrooms. Seconds after I was in there, I threw up until I had nothing left in me and then I cried with every ounce of my soul. I was so distraught that I didn't even notice the door open.

"Who's Noah, Lease?" Liam asked.

"This is a girl's bathroom, Liam," I said, avoiding the question.

"I don't really think that matters anymore," he said. "Who's Noah?"

"He's," I said, my throat choking up. I didn't want to tell him. I couldn't get attached. I couldn't.

But I couldn't take this. I couldn't handle this alone anymore. I needed someone. I needed Craig.

And then his blue eyes met mine, and I knew the idea of not getting attached was abandoned the moment I got on that roof.

"He's my brother," I breathed. "My little brother."

His eyes darkened, and he let out a breath.