Chapter Sixteen (Edited.)

I started running first, it took Liam a few more seconds to process what was happening. I knew it wasn't a just a contraction, because the screaming didn't stop. It intensified. I didn't pay attention to the Snappers that I attracted as my feet clapped against the cold asphalt. I didn't even pay attention to the Snappers that were gathering in the hallways, stumbling over each other heading toward the sound of Lucy's screams. I didn't stop running till I banged right into the cafeteria doors.

I yelled, but Lucy's screams drowned my voice out. A few seconds after I started yelling I felt a hand on my shoulder. I whipped my machete around, ready to hit my attacker. Then, I realized it was Liam. I tried to stop myself but it was too late.

"Easy there," He said, grabbing my wrist, causing my machete to hit the ground with a clap. "You might want to pick that up, too, Sunshine."

"I'm s-sorry, I didn't realize," I stuttered, my whole body beginning to shake. I bent down to grab my machete and it fumbled in hand as I tried to grab it. Liam bent down next to me and gently placed a hand on my forearm.

"Look at me," he said, his hands on my arms. "We're going to get in there, but I need you to calm down first."

"We have to get in," I shouted, standing up, regaining focus. "The doors locked!"

"I know," he said back, his eyes scanning the door. "I think we have to get our priorities straight first, though."

"Wha-?" I started, my voice dying mid-word. Down the hall, about fifteen Snappers came stumbling, shuffling, and crawling. There was no way there was this many. We had almost all the halls cleared out. There's just no way.

I shook my head, realizing what was going to have to happen. We'd have to travel through them. A sick feelings settled in my gut. I knew Liam wouldn't have enough arrows and I didn't even know if I had the strength.

Even though Liam kept his composer, I could tell it was waning. As the snappers neared, we were both becoming frantic, me especially. I knew I wasn't afraid for myself. It was Liam. It was Lucy.

"Here we go," Liam exhaled, moving over to the wall. It only took me seconds to realize his plan. He wanted me to go through the vent. "Come on, I'll help you up."

I hesitated.

"What about you?" The vents would barely be big enough for me to fit, much less him.

"You get in the cafeteria and unlock the door," he said, his face like marble. "You save yourself, I'll hold them back."

No. This was not an option. I wouldn't leave him. I couldn't. He'll die. They all die. They always die.

"I'll be okay, you have to hurry," he said. I shook my head back and forth, unable to stop. He grabbed my arms and pushed me against the wall.

"There's no way in hell I'm leaving you here!" I shouted in his face, the desperation showing crystal clear in my voice. He didn't show any emotion as he dug his fingers into my arms.

"Listen, I'm not too crazy about the idea either, sunshine," he said, "But you need to get out of here while you can. I need you to listen clearly to me now; you only open the doors for me if I'm alive and if the Snappers haven't overrun me. I'll fend them off for as long as I can. This is the only way. Now, go, Lease. Get out of here. Save yourself."

"I can't," I said, shaking my head feebly. I needed him to understand. I couldn't let someone die on me again. Not again. His face twisted as he dug his fingers even deeper into my arm.

"Goddamit, Lease," he spat. "If either one of us are going to survive, you have to go. Now."

It took everything in me to nod. I couldn't even believe I was moving until he lifted me up to remove the grill from the vent. I practically ripped it off, as it was rusted beyond compare. Once it was down, he lifted me up higher. The metal was frigid against my skin, sending sharp bursts of pain whenever I touched it.