Chapter 4

At the courthouse porch. Mattie's determination radiates through the dimly lit room as she engages in conversation with the local sheriff, Mr. Stonehill. The boarding house buzzes with the hushed conversations of its occupants, the aroma of tobacco and whiskey permeating the air. Mattie's focus remains unwavering as she seeks information about Tom Chaney, her father's killer, who is rumored to be hiding in Indian Territory. Stonehill, his skepticism melting under Mattie's resolute gaze, leans back in his chair, taking in her words. He sips from his glass, contemplating her request. Chaney's reputation as a dangerous man looms over the conversation, and Stonehill questions Mattie's ability to handle such a perilous endeavor. Undeterred, Mattie responds with unwavering determination, revealing her trump card—the hiring of Rooster Cogburn, a renowned U.S. Marshal known for his toughness and indomitable spirit. Stonehill raises an intrigued eyebrow, acknowledging Cogburn's reputation for possessing "true grit." Mattie emphasizes her commitment to achieving justice, expressing her willingness to go to any lengths necessary. Her unwavering resolve and the offer of a substantial reward for Chaney's capture pique Stonehill's interest. His skepticism begins to waver, and he leans closer, cautioning Mattie about the dangers of Indian Territory, particularly for a young girl like herself. Mattie's gaze remains steady, displaying her determination to overcome any obstacles. She appreciates Stonehill's concern but remains resolute in her pursuit of justice, vowing to hold her father's killer accountable. Stonehill, moved by her unwavering conviction, sighs and agrees to share what he knows about Chaney and Indian Territory. As their conversation unfolds, the man on the porch, who had been observing Mattie intently, rises from his seat and enters the dimly lit room. Adjusting his hat, he silently makes his way toward the bar, unnoticed by both Mattie and Stonehill, consumed by their discussion. Unbeknownst to them, their paths are destined to intersect again. The journey ahead will test their courage and resolve, as Mattie embarks on a perilous quest to bring her father's killer to justice. The treacherous Indian Territory awaits her, and with Rooster Cogburn by her side, she will confront not only the dangers lurking in the wilderness but also the inner demons that threaten to undermine her unwavering determination. Little do they know that the man who observed Mattie's entrance harbors his hidden motives, and his actions will intertwine with their pursuit, adding further complexity and danger to an already perilous journey. As the room hums with conversation and the scent of tobacco and whiskey lingers in the air, the stage is set for a gripping tale of justice, resilience, and the indomitable spirit of a young girl named Mattie Ross.

At the house. Mattie enters her bedroom, closing the door behind her. The room is small and modestly furnished, with a narrow bed against one wall. The sound of Grandma Turner's snoring fills the air, accompanied by the eerie whistling of the wind outside. Mattie feels a chill run down her spine, but she remains determined to carry out her mission. She takes off her coat and places it on a nearby chair, then sits on the edge of the bed, lost in thought. The events of the day replay in her mind, the courtroom testimony, her encounter with Rooster Cogburn, and the looming task of hunting down Tom Chaney. Mattie pulls out Colt's dragoon revolver from the flour sack she had been carrying. She examines the firearm, its weight solid and comforting in her hand. She remembers Cogburn's words about finding a high stump to rest it on and a wall to put behind her. The thought of facing danger head-on both frightens and exhilarates her. As the wind howls outside, Mattie knows that her journey will be treacherous. She wonders about the man who took the room she had hoped to secure and ponders the significance of their brief encounter on the porch. Little does she know that their paths will intertwine again, and their fates will become entangled in ways she cannot yet imagine. But for now, Mattie pushes her thoughts aside and focuses on the task at hand. She knows that her mother and siblings are waiting for her return, and the weight of responsibility sits heavy on her shoulders. With true grit and unwavering determination, she reaffirms her resolve to seek justice for her father's death. As Grandma Turner's snores persist and the wind continues its haunting melody, Mattie lies down on the narrow bed, determined to get some rest before the next leg of her journey begins. She closes her eyes, the image of Tom Chaney's face firmly etched in her mind, and drifts off into a restless sleep, her dreams filled with visions of the challenges and dangers that lie ahead.