Chapter 6

In the early hours of the morning, while Grandma Turner's snores filled the room, Mattie busied herself with preparations for her imminent departure. The air was filled with anticipation as she unfolded her father's old traps, relics of his adventurous spirit. With determination etched on her face, she retrieved a weathered, big-brimmed fisherman's hat from a dusty corner. As she placed it on her head, she quickly realized it was too large, threatening to obscure her vision and hinder her quest.

Undeterred, Mattie's resourceful nature kicked in. She sought out scraps of newspaper, meticulously lining the hat's interior in an experimental process. Carefully adjusting the quantity of paper, she gradually transformed the oversized hat into a snug fit, ensuring it would shield her from the elements without impeding her progress.

Next, she reached for her father's coat, a garment imbued with memories of their shared outdoor escapades. Mattie slid her arms into the sleeves, relishing the familiarity of the fabric against her skin. Yet, acknowledging the difference in their statures, she deftly rolled up the sleeves, giving them a confident cuff. With each adjustment, she symbolically absorbed her father's spirit, ready to carry on his legacy.

Her gaze then fell upon the Colt's Dragoon, a weapon of both protection and retribution. She scrutinized its craftsmanship, familiarizing herself with its every detail. The weight of the firearm in her hand solidified her resolve, reminding her of the purpose that drove her forward—bringing justice to her father's untimely demise.

As the final step in her preparations, Mattie gathered a selection of ripe apples, carefully placing them inside a sturdy sack. The fruits served not only as sustenance for her journey but also as a token of gratitude for those who might aid her along the way. Their presence within the bag, a symbol of goodwill and appreciation, provided a glimpse into Mattie's thoughtful nature and her understanding of the importance of fostering alliances.

Finally, with her physical preparations complete, Mattie turned her attention to a handwritten letter she had composed. With ink-stained fingers, she deftly folded the parchment, sealing her emotions within its delicate creases. The words contained within the letter echoed in her mind, for they were more than mere correspondence; they encapsulated her unwavering determination. In a voice-over, the audience is privy to the contents of her heartfelt missive, addressed to her dearest mother:

"Dearest Mother, as the first rays of dawn illuminate the horizon, I stand at the precipice of a remarkable adventure. Nay, dare I call it a mission, for the weight of our family's grief weighs heavy upon my shoulders. Until Papa's tragic demise is rightfully avenged, no respite shall find us. My meticulous inquiries in Fort Smith have provided leads, guiding me toward the elusive figure of Tom Chaney, the perpetrator of our suffering. Fear not, for I have made necessary arrangements to pursue him relentlessly and ensure justice is served. Rest assured, dear mother, that my resolve shall not waver until the scales of righteousness are restored. Once I have seen this pursuit through to its rightful conclusion, I shall return to your loving embrace. The burden of our shared sorrow shall be lightened, and the solace of closure will be ours to cherish. With every fiber of my being, I vow to honor Papa's memory and secure a brighter future for our family. Hold me close in your thoughts as I depart, for your unwavering love will be the flame that guides me through the darkest of nights. Until our reunion, I remain your steadfast and devoted daughter, Mattie."

_____

As the final words of her letter resonated in the air, Mattie fastened her equipment securely onto her loyal steed, Little Blackie. With practiced movements, she cinched the saddle, ensuring a snug fit for their shared journey ahead. A sense of anticipation hung in the air as she gracefully mounted the horse, her determination radiating from her every pore.