Chapter 10

In the tranquil morning light, the three riders set out from the cabin, their horses plodding through the fresh snow, leaving behind a hushed silence. Leading the way is Rooster, a grizzled and weathered man, who takes a hearty swig from a bottle, the contents warming his insides as he hums a hauntingly beautiful tune. His rugged demeanor gives off an air of experience, and he navigates the trail with ease, showing an intimate familiarity with the wilderness. Following Rooster is Mattie, a young and determined girl, her eyes wide with curiosity and a touch of fear. Glancing over her shoulder, she notices the chilling sight of four lifeless bodies, their figures wrapped in a cold shroud of snow near the cabin wall. Though it unsettles her, she tries to focus on the journey ahead, trusting Rooster's guidance. As they continue riding, Rooster reminisces about his past, sharing tales of a fiddle tune he once knew. His heart carries a hint of melancholy as he reveals that his large, calloused fingers prevent him from playing the fiddle, a lost pleasure he mourns. Seeking comfort in music, he begins singing "Soldier's Joy," a tune that conjures memories of better days. However, the song is interrupted as he pauses to take another swig from the bottle, momentarily lost in his thoughts. Observing Rooster's habits, LeBoeuf, the third rider in the procession, remains quiet but vigilant. He senses that Rooster may not have slept the night before, recognizing the signs of a man who's always alert, constantly on guard. It's a testament to Rooster's hardened nature, someone who's learned to survive in this unforgiving world. Nonetheless, Rooster's gruff exterior belies a protective side. He cautions LeBoeuf that they are still far from Fort Smith, a dangerous stretch of wilderness where vulnerability could prove fatal. He advises LeBoeuf to push his horse to its limits, hoping they can reach the relative safety of the fort within a day. The wilderness harbors its perils, and Rooster knows that LeBoeuf, a one-armed man, faces an additional challenge. Despite the warning, Rooster's words carry an underlying sense of camaraderie, assuring LeBoeuf that they're in this together. With their fate intertwined, the trio continues their journey, riding in single file through the vast expanse of snow-covered terrain. Each step forward carries them closer to Fort Smith, but the wilderness holds its secrets, and the trials that await may test their resilience and bonds as companions. The adventure has just begun, and the unfolding tale promises both danger and discovery for Rooster, LeBoeuf, and young Mattie.

As the journey continues, LeBoeuf's concern for Rooster's well-being becomes increasingly evident. He questions Rooster's decision to persist, given his physical limitations as a one-eyed man, doubting his ability to shoot accurately and defend himself if the need arises. With a hint of frustration, LeBoeuf reminds Rooster that he lacks depth perception and may not be as formidable as he once was. However, Rooster remains steadfast in his determination, brushing off LeBoeuf's worries with a wry grin. He insists that he's perfectly capable and well-provisioned for the journey. Reminding LeBoeuf that they agreed to part ways after reaching a certain point, Rooster seems determined to see this mission through to the end, regardless of the challenges. Just when the tension between Rooster and LeBoeuf starts to escalate, Mattie interjects, bringing her perspective into the mix. Her youthful wisdom shines through as she shares a thought-provoking observation. She firmly states that resorting to violence and shooting one's competitor would always give an unfair advantage in any competition or dispute. Mattie's words strike a chord, causing both Rooster and LeBoeuf to pause and reflect. Rooster, feeling the need to defend himself, denies LeBoeuf's accusation of shooting him. He counters that there were multiple gunshots fired during the incident, and it's entirely possible that LeBoeuf was mistaken. However, LeBoeuf remains adamant, recounting how he distinctly heard a rifle shot and felt the impact of a bullet that grazed him. He points out that Rooster's missing eye might have compromised his aim, leading to the errant shot. Rooster bristles at the implication, his pride and skill as a marksman at stake. He vehemently denies missing his shot due to his missing eye, stating that his shooting abilities are unrivaled. With a touch of swagger, he boasts of being able to hit a gnat's eye at a considerable distance. To silence the doubts and demonstrate his prowess, Rooster decides to showcase his sharpshooting skills in a spur-of-the-moment display. Empties bottle in hand, he tosses it high into the air, its glinting surface catching the sunlight. With lightning-fast reflexes, Rooster draws his navy six-gun and fires three shots in rapid succession. The first two shots miss the target, causing LeBoeuf to raise an eyebrow skeptically. But on the third attempt, a resounding crack fills the air as the bottle shatters into a thousand sparkling fragments. Rooster's impressive accuracy is undeniable, leaving LeBoeuf momentarily stunned. The display proves Rooster's point, and while he may have a missing eye, his shooting skills remain as sharp as ever. The tension between the two companions subsides, replaced with a newfound respect for Rooster's abilities. Mattie smiles, relieved to see the dispute settled amicably. With their differences set aside, the trio continues their journey, their camaraderie somewhat strengthened by the unexpected display of marksmanship. As the vast wilderness stretches before them, they march onward, knowing that challenges await, but also aware that their unique skills and shared determination will guide them through the trials ahead.

True Gritजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें