Chapter 8

In a light snowfall, Rooster and Mattie traverse a stream, their footsteps echoing. Rooster, amidst their journey, reveals an intriguing story. He recounts how someone, presumably a woman, developed an unexpected desire for him to pursue a legal career. This newfound ambition led to the purchase of a weighty tome titled "Daniels on Negotiable Instruments," to acquaint Rooster with its contents. However, despite his best efforts, Rooster struggled to comprehend the intricacies within its pages, ultimately finding solace in setting it aside and departing from Texas.

Rooster humorously reflects on the scarcity of trees between Texas and Canada, emphasizing the predominance of sticker-covered vegetation. As he begins recounting his subsequent ventures, a sudden gunshot reverberates in the distance, abruptly halting Rooster in his tracks. Instinctively, he twists his body to peer over his shoulder, attempting to discern the source of the unexpected sound.

The air is filled with a tense silence, broken only by the sound of their steady footsteps. Finally, Rooster breaks the quietude, a sense of knowing etched on his face. He reveals to Mattie that they are being pursued, confirming his suspicion. Mattie, perplexed, seeks clarification on what Rooster means. With a confident tone, Rooster explains that he had instructed the Indian companion to fire a shot as a signal if they were being trailed by someone.

Concern lingers in Mattie's voice as she questions the implications of being followed, referring to Rooster as a marshal. However, Rooster dismisses her worries, identifying the pursuer as Mr. LeBoeuf. He reveals LeBoeuf's motive—using Rooster and Mattie as scouts to locate their target, intending to seize the opportunity once the prey is startled and flushed out. Rooster exhibits a touch of arrogance as he asserts his superior tracking abilities, emphasizing that their Texan companion understands that he cannot outpace Rooster. As the conversation concludes, Mattie contemplates Rooster's words, silently assessing the situation and reflecting on her thoughts.

Mattie, displaying her resourcefulness, suggests a strategic plan to outsmart their pursuer. She proposes the idea of retracing their steps, deliberately creating a confusing trail to throw off their follower. However, Rooster dismisses her suggestion, opting for a more direct approach. With a hint of sarcasm, he declares that they will remain in their current position and warmly greet their companion when he catches up to them. Rooster intends to confront their pursuer head-on and inquire about his intentions and destination.

______

Minutes Later. Amidst the gentle descent of snowflakes, Rooster exudes an air of nonchalance as he sits confidently atop his horse, positioned in the middle of the road. The wintry scene continues to be adorned with the ethereal beauty of falling snow. Suddenly, a faint jingling noise reverberates through the air, capturing Rooster's attention. As he keenly observes, the sound grows louder, signaling the approach of an incoming rider concealed by the foliage that veils a bend in the road. Sensing the imminent arrival, Rooster adjusts his posture, straightening up with a heightened sense of anticipation. The rider finally emerges from behind the foliage, revealing a white man adorned with a substantial beard, its business adding a touch of wildness to his countenance. His horse leads a packhorse burdened with an array of clinking and jangling items, evoking an air of mystery and curiosity. What draws Rooster's gaze, however, is the haunting sight draped across the rump of the rider's horse—a macabre display of a hanged man's lifeless body. The stranger himself wears a striking headdress fashioned from the fierce head of a bear, its ferocity seemingly mirrored in his demeanor. The rest of the bearskin cascades down his form, serving as an imposing robe that enhances his enigmatic presence. Undeterred by the chilling atmosphere, the stranger advances toward Rooster at a deliberate pace, displaying an unhurried demeanor. As they close the distance between them, the stranger comes to a halt a few yards away, content to remain atop his horse while meeting Rooster's gaze with solemnity and unwavering intensity. The scene is laden with tension, as the two figures engage in a silent yet profound exchange of stares, each seeking to decipher the intentions and character of the other.