Chapter 3 - Purple Tulips

Apricity Adams
May 10, 2023

It's nearing four in the fucking morning and I'm about to fall over dead.

After my little interaction with the weird neighbor, I unpacked everything that I had the energy for and have been trying to figure out where to store it all.

I left the bigger pieces of furniture in the U-Haul, not having enough strength to lift and drag it all in tonight. I definitely need to make a run to the paint store in the morning to get some supplies to fix the walls, and I also need to call my sister and ask her what the fuck I'm supposed to do about the missing pieces of wood in the floor.

Her husband, Briar, is a contractor so he should know. I could just put a rug over the large area of missing pieces and call it a day, but I really don't think that's such a good idea for someone as clumsy as me.

After a bit more unpacking and organizing, I decide to call it a night. I'm lying in bed as my mind wanders for a bit before I doze off to sleep.

I go through the same routine in my brain that I do every night, thinking about the remnants of someone I once knew, my parents and why I'll never be good enough for them, as well as trying to calm my nerves for my internship that I start on Monday.

Surprisingly, there's a new thought in my mind tonight. I can't help but wonder about the boy at the diner. I know I shouldn't even be thinking about him. I'm never going to see him again.

-

The atrociously loud, repeating ding of my alarm wakes me from my deep sleep. I sit up and yawn with an audible groan, seeing that it's eight o'clock. I wish I could sleep for a few more hours, but I know this house isn't going to fix itself. I'd rather get it all over with today.

I trudge into my little bathroom and flick on the lights, going through my usual morning routine of brushing my teeth, styling my hair for the day, and washing my face. I swallow my meds dry and head back into my bedroom.

I slide the closet door open, picking out a vintage maroon and blue Nike zip up. I pair it with a simple black t-shirt underneath and a pair of blue jeans, along with some heeled black booties.

It's not quite warm yet here, so I'll milk my winter clothes for as long as I can

It's not quite warm yet here, so I'll milk my winter clothes for as long as I can. I swing my purse over my shoulder and head into the kitchen, grabbing a water bottle and ordering an Uber to the city.

My first order of business today is heading to get a rental car since mine won't arrive until later this week. Ubering is my least favorite thing to do, I can thank my paranoia for that one, but I literally have no other form of transportation and I can't get rid of the U-Haul yet.

But first, I need fucking coffee. Thankfully, the Uber arrives quickly and the lady is kind enough to stop at a nearby Starbucks. I order my usual 'quad shot iced vanilla latte', feeling instant relief as it enters my system. I swear it cures me of everything gray.