Chapter 3

Two weeks later, Jennie was barely awake enough to scan her boarding pass at the desk.

"Have a lovely flight, Ms. Jane," Rosé greeted as Jennie's name popped up on her computer.

Jennie glanced down at the name tag the gate agent was wearing and then offered the woman as warm of a smile as she could muster.

"Thank you, Rosé," she replied, readjusting the strap of her shoulder bag and wheeling her carry-on suitcase down the jetbridge.

She let out a small yawn as she made her way toward the plane.

"Good morning," a cheery flight attendant greeted with a blindingly white smile.

"Morning," Jennie said to the woman she recognized from her London flight last time, collapsing the handle of her suitcase and picking it up to move it onto the plane.

"Hello," Jisoo greeted as she leaned against the wall, blocking the cockpit.

"Hi there," Jennie replied automatically, lifting her suitcase and moving toward the second row on the right side of first-class.

She shrugged off her thick wool coat and accepted the hanger one of the flight attendants offered her, slipping her coat onto it and handing it off. She then lifted her suitcase into the overhead bin and got settled into her first-class pod.

In the cockpit, Lisa busied herself with checks on the plane's safety features, completely unaware of who was getting onto her plane. The boarding process continued, but all she really registered was Jisoo's greetings and quick jokes that she shot at very sleepy passengers.

After she'd taxied to the tarmac and the flight attendants went through their spiel about safety, Lisa spoke through the loudspeaker.

"Good morning everyone. I'm your captain for flight 6723 to London. We're currently third in line to take off, so we should be off the ground in no time. I'll try to beat my all-time record and get you all there as quickly as possible. In the meantime, enjoy our lovely flight attendants and our food and beverage service, and try to catch some z's. Thank you as always for flying with us."

Jennie looked up at the ceiling of the plane as if she could look up to the heavens and ask what the hell was going on here. What were the odds that Lisa was her pilot again? There was no mistaking that slow, sinfully sweet voice that came over the plane's speakers, all charm and confidence. There was no mistaking it and Jennie found herself sitting up a little straighter in her comfortable seat.

She had spent the better part of these past two weeks doing two things - barely keeping her head above the mountains of work that running two offices on two different continents gave her, and furiously chasing release with her hand beneath the boxers she slept in, images of Lisa in her mind and Lisa's name slipping from her lips as she hit her peak.

Without giving herself time to overthink, Jennie hit her flight attendant call button once they'd reached cruising altitude at 10,000 feet.

"What can I get for you?" a friendly flight attendant asked.

"I know this is an odd request, but could you send a packet of Biscoff cookies to the pilot?" Jennie wondered, hoping her smile was convincing.

"Uh... which one?" the flight attendant asked.

"Captain Manobal," Jennie replied smoothly.

"That checks out," the flight attendant chuckled. "I can do that, sure."

Jennie tried not to let the comment dissuade her. She tried not to let the idea of Lisa doing this with other passengers, crew members, or fellow pilots discourage her.