Chapter Three

Aelora comprehends that manipulating Alicent is a facile task; the girl had been influenced the entire time. The only approach Aelora sees to align the woman with their cause is to employ her own words against her.

Otto Hightower poses a substantial threat.

Aelora acknowledges that the longer Otto lingers, the greater the peril. She must ensure to dismiss the man promptly to prevent further manipulation.

On the morrow, the declaration of Princess Helaena's birth is open to all. The castle reverberates with celebrations, welcoming another princess into the realm.

Aelora predominantly secludes herself within her room, striving to reclaim her power. However, she is aware that her magic will only fully return to her proper age. For now, she can only muster small enchantments.

A knock on her door diverts her attention. It's Otto Hightower. The man enters the room, accompanied by Ser Cole, ensuring the Princess's well-being.

Aelora grimaces. "Is there something I could assist you with?" she inquires.

"Greetings, Princess Aelora. I would like to have a confidential word with you," Otto declares, turning to Cole, who remains present.

"Princess Rhaenyra commanded me to be with the Princess all the time," Ser Cole asserts, and Aelora hides her smile, acknowledging the man's usefulness.

"It's fine, Ser Cole. Just wait outside for the Lord," Aelora says with a smile. Ser Cole hesitates but nods before departing. Aelora turns to the Hand, maintaining a friendly demeanor.

"Princess Aelora, I've heard that you are an incredible young girl, one who manages to read at such a tender age," Otto compliments, and Aelora smiles.

"I wanted to make the King proud," she responds, playing along.

"Ah, yes... The King. Princess, I wish to assist you in making your father proud," Otto says with warmth.

Aelora stares at him, sensing an unsettling aura.

"What do you mean, Lord Hand?" she inquires. The man straightens his posture.

"The Targaryens are renowned for marrying within their bloodline to preserve the purity of their lineage. The pure Targaryens, such as you and your sister, are highly respected. Princess Rhaenyra is set to marry a Lord from the North, and we are pleased. However, it is your duty, Princess, to marry for blood," Otto articulates, speaking as though addressing a child.

Aelora gradually discerns the man's attempt to manipulate a child, assuming it to be an easy feat.

Frowning, she questions, "What do you mean, Lord Hand?"

"To benefit your sister and make the King proud, you must wed your brother Aegon," the Lord Hand proposes, seriously suggesting a marriage between siblings.

Suppressing her amusement, Aelora asks, "Would that make Rhaenyra and the King proud?"

"Of course, Princess. The King would love to see you join together with his son," the man asserts.

"I understand, Lord Hand. It's my duty to continue the bloodline, and to do that, I must marry Aegon," Aelora responds childishly.

"It is for the better, Princess. Your father will be proud," the man reassures, and Aelora nods. "I must take my leave now."

Before he departs, Aelora calls out, "Lord Hand, you have been devoted to the King. I have something for you." She hands him a sigil of three-headed dragons, the size of a coin. The man grins upon receiving it.

"Thank you, Princess," the man acknowledges.

"You could make a bracelet out of it or attach it to your pin. I'm sure the King would love to see that; after all, you are the father of his wife," Aelora suggests before returning to her seat.