Chapter Three

TW: Abusive language, fighting, potentially upsetting content
——————

Tia had decided to stay in Veronica's room that night.

There was a spare bunk that Tia could use. It just so happened to be in Veronica's room. Tia didn't mind. Veronica made her feel the safest of anyone there.

"A-Are you sure a-about this?" Tia spoke, her voice quivering as she laid on the bed, snuggling up under the blankets that Veronica provided her. She had taken her blanket out of her bag and snuggled that as well. Veronica climbed up to her bunk and smiled warmly.

"Of course I am." Veronica replied. Tia wasn't used to this. She wasn't used to people caring for her. But it was a nice change of pace from the constant struggle and sadness. She liked it. Even if she'd never admit it. Maybe she had finally found her chosen family.

"It's late. Get some rest. Night, Tia." Veronica spoke as she got into her own bed. She flicked off the light and Tia felt herself begin to get anxious. Veronica was the one who worked. So she would be alone with the rest. While she had Joe, Veronica made her feel safe.

"Night, Ronnie." Tia replied. She held her blanket close and blinked her eyes shut. She tried, but sleep just didn't come. She tossed and turned, but she just couldn't sleep. She remembered something suddenly. She had left Ziggy downstairs. But Pip was downstairs. Tia felt tears prick and brim her eyes.

Reluctantly, she pulled herself out of bed, wrapping her blanket around her and made her way out of the room. She left as quietly as she could so she wouldn't wake Veronica. She slipped out the door. The house had to have been really old. It was creaky and paint was chipping off.

Tia made her way down the stairs, clinging onto the railing for dear life. The stairs creaked beneath her with every step she took. She whimpered quietly. This house became a different and scarier place at night. Even if the house was already scary, at least to Tia.

She stepped of the last stair and looked around. She needed to find Ziggy. She couldn't sleep without her stuffed animal. She crept into the living room, finding her bag next to the couch. All her stuff was in it. She took it and swung it over her shoulders.

She heard something. Rustling. But Pip was practically unconscious on the couch. It was coming from the kitchen. She was a little thirsty. So she ventured into the kitchen warily. She was scared. She hoped the strange noise was maybe just the wind or her ears playing tricks on her.

In the kitchen, stood Lozza and Dirty Diamond. Lozza immediately turned to Tia and mustered the warmest smile they could. It was crooked and twisted. Dirty Diamond just laughed. She didn't do anything other than laugh. She opened up the fridge hastily, grabbing some water and then going back to bed.

——————

Veronica woke up early the next morning. It was still dark out when she got up, but that didn't bother her too much. Lawrence was probably up and making breakfast. Veronica always requested pancakes. And today was no different. She got out of bed and turned to face Tia.

"Hey there, Ti Ti. Did you sleep well last night?" Veronica spoke gently. She was always gentle. With her housemates, and her things, and the world. Veronica was a gentle person by nature, and everyone in the house saw her as a motherly figure. Tia's eyes fluttered open and she looked at Veronica.

"I guess so. What time is it, Ronnie?" Tia mumbled, rubbing the last bits of sleep from her eyes with her balled up hands. She stood up and tilted her head at Veronica. Ronnie grabbed her phone from her pocket and turned it on. It was only six a.m.

"It's six a.m. Ti Ti. Lozza's probably making breakfast. Come on, you must be hungry. All that walking must've taken a toll on your stomach." Veronica spoke with pity. A sympathetic look in her eyes. Tia didn't want pity, but she did want to eat. There was just one problem.