010. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐜𝐫𝐞

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜

ten. you've got your passion,
you've got your pride but don't you know
that only fools are satisfied.

IT WAS SAFE TO SAY THAT LIZZIE FUCKING HATED TRIPWIRES, especially when they remained under the protection of the soiled ground that she tried to walk over. The journey to the 'tall buildings' as she and Dina liked to call them had been made ten-times harder at the realisation that the ground had been infiltrated with explosives.

During their trek towards the buildings, the young blonde had almost ran into an infected that had randomly appeared from the interior of an abandoned stall. Had she not been alerted by Ellie's surprised yelp, Lizzie would've been victim to the infected if not victim to the disguised explosive. Though the sound of squelching coming from the infected as she raised the bottom of her boot to slam into their deformed faces wasn't something she loved hearing, it was better than being attacked by one of said creatures.

It hadn't taken too much of their time for her and Ellie to clear the path towards what they assumed was the right direction, the only fault continuing to be the trip-wires camouflaged into their surroundings that caused for them to pause every couple of moments, wincing as they believed they'd accidentally set one off, only for it to be a false alarm.

Soon enough, the three were slipping through an open door made from thick steel. Unbeknownst to the blonde who walked out first, the ground a few feet away had turned steep as it narrowed towards the rock-filled stream that surrounded the area. With a yelp, her boot slid across the damp surface, causing her to fall backwards before stumbling down the sandy slope.

From behind her, Ellie's hands ghosted over her a second too late as her eyes widened. She snickered as she watched the girl stumble down the hill, landing below just before she could be drenched in the stream. Unfortunately, the ends of her long hair clung together a few shades darker than the rest of her hair, obviously having been caught in the channel of water.

"Oh my god." Ellie cackled as she watched Lizzie go wide-eyed. The blonde turned to look up at her, narrowing her eyes as she shook her head. "Shut up! Would you just get down here?"

Suddenly, it was Lizzie's turn to laugh as Ellie lost her footing and fell down the slope the same way the previous girl had. She grabbed Lizzie at arms length, causing both of them to stumble lightly as Dina came to the top of the slope, calling down to them in surprise.

Lizzie continued to laugh at the auburn-haired girl, to which Ellie reached her hand into the stream and sprayed the running liquid at the blonde. "We're fine, Dina! Come on down."

The dark-haired girl followed Ellie's demand, falling down the slope though doing it a lot more gracefully than the younger two girls had done. Once she'd reached the two, they carried on their trail whilst following where the stream chose to lead them. Beside the flowing water, abandoned vehicles lay strewn across the grassy domain infested with overgrown plants and greenery.