017. 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐠𝐨𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜

seventeen. I don't think I love you anymore
that gold mine changed you
you don't have to hold me anymore
our caves collapsing .

Two years prior.
Saint Mary's hospital, Salt Lake City.

IN ALL IT'S GLORY, the deserted structure of the Saint Mary's hospital stood tall as it mocked the sunlight that was granted no access to the damp grounds in front of it. The presence of death leaked from the door in the form of rot and decay that still haunted over the desolated hospital.

Inside the darkened complex, the entrance creaked as it was pushed open, followed by the shattering of boots walking along glass and back out into the grassy areas outside. The wiring of a tape broke through the silent atmosphere uncomfortably as Ellie Williams stumbled out of the hospital after having ventured inside in search of the truth of what had happened inside over two years prior.

As she walked out, she felt the warmth of the sun shine past the shadow of the hospital, allowing the honey-coloured hue to hit the crown of her head in a breeze of fresh summer air. She replayed the message of the tape over and over again as the building of resentment burned like the spark of a flame within the girl. Two years of oblivious stupidity and deceit forced the girl into an almost dissociative state, scowling with utter betrayal as she noticed the blue-eyed girl awaiting her outside.

"Was it fun? Sneaking off in the middle for the night and not telling anybody where you were going?" The familiar blonde-haired girl taunted as she stood at a distance from the hospital, like she was too scared to step any closer before the apparition of the woman she'd killed, the woman who'd taken her in as though she were her daughter, would take her revenge. Her hair blew gently in the breeze as she crossed her arms accusingly, her eyes narrowed at the approaching girl.

Ellie frowned as she approached, no longer looking at the girl with sweetness but instead with distrust. She scoffed as she looked at Lizzie, shaking her head as she clicked the side of the tape. "What..." her voice faded as she came to stand in front of the girl, "What did you do?"

Lizzie's exterior of confidence melted like an ice cream in the heatwaves of the summertime season. She didn't need to ask what Ellie was taking about, not when they stood outside the very building she had been desperately trying to avoid. When she'd woken the previous morning only to find out Ellie had disappeared to locate the Saint Mary's hospital in Salt Lake City, she hadn't thought twice about grabbing Vixen and following after the trail—Joel not far behind.

In fact, as Lizzie shuffled backwards slowly as she took in the realisation that Ellie knew, the echo of approaching trotting resounded from the man's horse as the animal stopped whilst Joel dismounted hastily before rushing over to the two. His chest heaved as he quickened over to them, ignoring the lingering sense of tension that awoke.