Chapter 1: The Coffee Shop Escapade

Chapter 1:  The Coffee Shop Escapade

"Wakey, wakey, Sunshine!" Isi yells in my ear, way too loud for a Monday morning.

I groan and turn over, pulling my pillow over my head, mumbling, "Go away, five more minutes!"

"Nope! You're getting an early start today, Kara!" Isi cruelly yanks the pillow off my head, exposing my poor eyes to the light of day.

"You spawn of Satan, give that back," I growl, glaring at the little ball of happiness and sunshine that is my best friend.

"Come and get it lazy bum!" Isi taunts, skipping over to her bed, the little devil.

"You are absolutely evil, you know that?" I grumble as I heave myself up and rub the sleep out of my eyes.

"But you know you love me!" Isi laughs and dashes out to the kitchen, tossing my pillow back to me.

"Pestilence! Pestilence I do declare!" I laugh and head to the bathroom to prepare to meet the world.

"Did you hear that the person who caused the disturbance in D.C. has been sighted near here?" Isi calls from the kitchen, where I can hear the splatter and crackle of bacon, if my nose is right.

"Ummm, no? Why? Which one is it?" I poke my head out of the bathroom to hear her answer.

"The one with the metal arm who fought with Captain America," Isi replies. "Hurry up, or I'll eat your bacon!"

"Do and die!" I shout as I dash out of the bathroom, still putting on my shirt.

"Nice black bra, looks great," Isi grins at me mischievously as she shoves a plate of bacon in my face.

"Why thank you, my lady," I shove several pieces of bacon in my mouth. Mmmmmm.

"You are the bestest person in the whole wide world, Isi! I shall pledge my undying loyalty to the ends of the universe!"

Isi laughs at me as I dive into my plate of heavenly food.

"I'm gonna be late tonight because I'm gonna go to the gym and get the groceries."

" 'K, have fun, I'll probably be watching a movie or sleeping. Be safe on your way to work," I mumble as Isi grabs her purse, gym bag, and keys and heads out the door.

"I will and you be safe on your way to the café!" Isi shouts back at me as she closes the door to our one story little house on the outskirts of Alexandria. We bought this house so we wouldn't be living alone and so that we can team up for paying the bills.

I finish up my bacon and clean up the kitchen. Once I'm done cleaning, I head back to the bathroom and apply some eyeliner and mascara. Satisfied with my casual appearance of a nice blouse and jeggings, I put on my black sneakers and grab my laptop and put it in its case and shove my phone in my back pocket. On my way out of the house, I snatch my keys and lock the door behind me.

I hop in my car and toss my stuff in the passenger seat and start up the car. Since it's late April, I crack the windows and turn the heat on low and drive the short distance to the café where I go every weekday to work on the next book in my young adult fantasy series.

After I park my car a block a two away, I walk into the café and take my usual seat by the window, since I like to people watch while I contemplate new ideas.

The nice server waiter guy by the name of Daniel smiles at me and asks, "The usual?"

I give him my most angelic smile, "Yes, please, Danny!"

He chuckles to himself and walks behind the counter to get my usual order of hazelnut coffee with three spoonfuls of sugar and a lot of creamer.

I set up my Macbook Air and open the window with my in-progress book.