Ch. 1 -The Night of Doom

This is more like backstory for you 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                          (y/n) Warner's POV:

I open my eyes in a panic and stare at the ceiling of my room, *shit, another nightmare about him, another restless night* I take a deep breath in and out to try and calm my breathing. Calming down, I finally get out of bed and look out of my window; the sun is barely rising over the mountains. That means you have about two hours before you have to get to class.

*I suppose I could go for a walk before*, make my way to my bathroom, and as I brush my (H/C) hair, I find myself caught off guard by my appearance in the mirror. Baggy eyes, dilated pupils, and a blank stare is all I see looking back at me. Putting the brush down, I wash my face with some cold water to try and look less like a beaten-down homeless woman and more like the "proud" District 2 girl I am.

I finish brushing my teeth and get my clothes out of the closet. Putting on my black leggings, a sports bra, and my (F/C= fav color) tank top. I then open my window to see if I need my jacket, as it turns out I do. Putting on my shoes and Black zip-up jacket, I finally leave my room and head downstairs, where my mom greets me. 

"Good morning (Y/N), your up early today,...... would you like some breakfast?"  she says

"Morning mom, I appreciate the offer, but I'm not too hungry; plus, I have a lot to do at the academy in a few hours, so you can just give Dad my share." 

I try to smile halfway, but her face drops, and she turns back towards the stove.

"Your father already went to work, so I will give it to Randell next door for the boys, have a good day today, sweetheart" 

"Thanks, you too"

 I then walk out of the house and close the door. Thinking about the conversation between me and my mom just now, I sigh. Anytime Dad was mentioned, she always got upset, so I probably shouldn't have even suggested what I did.

Truthfully I think they should have split up a long time ago; when Dad is home, they are either fighting, or everyone sits in silence so deafening It hurts. I sigh at the thought of their relationship and that they were not always like this. Everything changed when my William died; my dad threw himself to work and now leads one of the biggest peacekeeper squadrons going back and forth between the capital. My mom worked as a training instructor at the academy previously. She quit a few weeks after Will died. She said it was too painful for her to be in a place that took part in killing her son and spread vile rumors about him.

I don't blame her for leaving; I respect it. William was my older brother; he was smart, cunning, respected, and funny but could be arrogant at times. He was at the top of his class in the academy when he volunteered for the 71st Annual Hunger Games. I was just turned 16 at the time. Everyone including my family, was so proud the mentors chose him; he was a Career in every sense. I remember all of District 2 watching his game, cheering him and our Female tribute on.

He lasted a long time in the games. He killed about 6 other tributes, as most careers do. He was teamed up with the other career tributes. It was down to four people him, our female tribute, the girl from 7, and a boy from 8. Will told his career partner it was time to split up because he didn't want to have to be the one to kill her. She agreed and ran off another day or two, went buy, and the game makers started pushing everyone towards the middle with whatever tactics they could. I remember hearing a female tribute screaming and watching the broadcast as Will ran over to that area.