Ch. 3- The "Greatest Honor"

(Y/N) POV:

"(Y/N).....sweetheart, it's time to get up" I open my eyes to see my mom in the room. 

"I'm sorry I didn't wake you for dinner, but I made you a big breakfast today, so start getting ready, and you can join me downstairs, okay." I nod, and she leaves, closing my door behind her. 

If it's morning already, it means it's THE DAY. I sigh and leave the bed, heading to the bathroom to shower first. Once I'm done, I wrap the towel around me and head over to the mirror, I notice any signs of the red handprint are gone completely. I brush my teeth, dry, and style my hair in a simple but elegant updo. I do my makeup and add some eyeliner and a simple lip tint. 

I have to do this every year for the reaping; my district sees the reaping as a celebration, and that's what they quite literally do. After the tributes are chosen, the mayor throws a huge party. Why I'm not sure, but everyone loves it. They dress up in fancy clothes and try to look their best. I walk over to my closet and find my dress. My mom picked it out for me this year; it's white with bits of sparkles in them. I chuckle; not exactly my style, but I'll wear it for her sake.

 I chuckle; not exactly my style, but I'll wear it for her sake

I slip the dress on and zip it up. Putting on my Silver heels, earrings, and the small necklace I made from my brother's ring. I walk down the stairs. I guess my mom heard me because when she turned around, she clapped her hands together and came to hug me with tears in her eyes. She was already fully dressed up and ready for later, she said.

"Look, I know you don't want to do this, but this is the last one for you, okay, make it through this one, and your out; you only have to deal with becoming a peacekeeper...maybe you can help the people if you do that." I hug her tighter until she finally lets go, and we sit eating breakfast together. It was nice, as expected. My dad was not here, probably already at the reaping area. 

"It's time for us to head over there," I say; my mom nods her head, and we leave the house walking until we are about to reach the bustling and exciting area. My mom stops me and pulls me in for one more hug, whispering in my ear.

"Don't forget to smile the entire time even if the worst happens and they mention William for some reason, okay?!?! If your dad or anyone else sees you not happy to be here, it will cause you nothing but trouble!" 

she's right, I have to be happy while I'm here no matter what. I plaster a big fake smile as I pull away from the hug.

"I'll be fine, Mom, we are gonna get through this than the party, and we are golden." this seems to ease her mind a bit, and she walks to her designated area smiling big and greeting her friends. I guess it's my turn, I walk over to the check-in desk where one of the peacekeepers is.

"Name?"

"(Y/N) Warner," he pauses for a second and says's

"Ms. Warner, your the commander's kid, right?" he holds his hand out and pricks my finger.