Ch. 4 The Train Ride From Hell

Miyra is gone, and we are face-to-face with our mentors; I see Cato, Clove, and Bryce stand up out of respect. I do the same within a few seconds when Brutus speaks up.

"You four can sit back down were your mentors for this year's games, each of you is here for a reason, and you will get plenty of advice and lessons from all three of us, so if you listen to us, you might just win." I see a devious smile on Clove's face as she is about to say something Enobaria crosses her arms and speaks herself.

"The next few days of training are important yes, but don't forget you also have to charm everyone at the capitol to win sponsors; without them, if you get into any type of trouble in the game, you can kiss your sorry-ass goodbye. This means EVERYONE on this train will be on their best behavior, so there will be no fighting with other tributes. If  Wade or Brutus or I tell you to do something, then we expect you to listen to us. Oh, and as far as the other tributes you are on this train with, I don't care if you like or dislike each other. All four of you are now Career tributes, so your best chances of winning are staying together so any history with each other, let it go right now." 

She looks at Bryce, clove, and Cato and then makes eye contact with me and I assume she is either talking about my brother or the fight between me and cato. She could also be referring to Clove and Cato; they seem to be friends from how they interact.

I then hear Wade speak, but he is looking directly at me just like he did yesterday. "I won my games last year and have more recent insight into the current game master and how he thinks so each of us will be spending time with the four of you as a group and individually to asses you and help as best we can. I'm confident one if not two of you can win."

Two?!?! Before I could ask for clarification Cato beat me to it sounding a bit irritated and said "I'm sorry did you say two? There have never been two winners before did something change?" 

Brutus responds to Cato before Wade could "This year as we stated is different," all three victors look at each other and sigh Brutus continues to speak "This information does not leave this train and is not to be repeated to anyone else if it is you will most likely die before you even reach the games. Understood?" The four of us nod, and Cato and I mumble a "Yes, sir."

Enobaria jumps in to finish the statement, "Rumors are going around the capitol that since they requested 48 tributes, there might be a chance of two winners. It's not a sure thing, but where we heard the information was from someone who is known to be reliable when it comes to betting on tributes during the games. Not sure if he has ins with the gamemaster. We don't want to give any of you false hope, but at the same time if it turns out that information is good, then there is a chance two of you could walk away from the games. Further proving our point that as Careers you stick together until it comes close to the end of the games. We're not sure if District 1 knows this information too, so just be extra careful when making alliances this year, got it."

Everyone nods, and there is silence for a minute, I think all of us are just processing what they said. I mean if that information is true, then yeah, sure, two of us could leave, but then that leaves the issue of two of us having to die in order for that to happen. And if it's not true, then the three of us have to die anyways, either way teaming up with each other seems like a good option at the beginning, but the further into the games, we go the less likely I would trust any of them. 

Clove speaks up and says's "Great, we might have a one-up on all the other tributes, but speaking of the other tributes, can we see who we are up against? Not that I'm worried I know I'm gonna win, but it never hurts to be prepared," She says with a grin and both Cato and Bryce laugh. 

Wade interrupts them and sternly says to her, "Overconfidence will get you killed, you could be the strongest or smartest person or have the most sponsors out of anyone in the games, but it only takes one wrong move or underestimating one person to get you killed so you best remember that."