INTERVIEW ONE

INTERVIEW ONE
— ✢ —

Transcript of the first police interview with MR LORENZO MESSINA (20, brunette, hazel eyes, 6 feet 4 inches, the rumoured boyfriend).
Interviewer: DETECTIVE CAMILLA AMATO

DETECTIVE AMATO: When was the last time you saw Miss Acharya?

MR MESSINA: Earlier that night at the race- we had plans to go

DETECTIVE AMATO: That being the night of Friday 6th June? The night of her rumoured disappearance.

MR MESSINA: I believe so- it's been a busy month so I can't recall exact dates.

(MESSINA is nervously playing with the silver rings he is wearing. AMATO pours the two glasses of water, taking a sip of hers before questioning further)

DETECTIVE AMATO: Mr Messina-

MR MESSINA: Lorenzo, please.

DETECTIVE AMATO: (hesitantly) ... Lorenzo. Would you be able to give me some details about your profession and life?

MR MESSINA: I'm a part-time mechanic, based in the Inferno. I help with remodels- mainly for aesthetic purposes. I'm currently a tattoo apprentice.

DETECTIVE AMATO: And what was your relationship with Miss Acharya?

MR MESSINA: She was my girlfriend. We lived together.

DETECTIVE AMATO: "Was?"

MR MESSINA: Not that we split up or anything- like I told you, we were together on the night she disappeared. It's just that...

(The silence answers his question for him)

DETECTIVE AMATO: (changing the subject) And how did you meet Miss Acharya?

(MESSINA remains quiet)

DETECTIVE AMATO: (after a pause) Lorenzo?

(MESSINA blinks, almost as if he's been woken from a trance.)

MR MESSINA: We met when she was still at Santa Maria.

(AMATO raises an eyebrow)

MR MESSINA: It was wrong of me to have been on the site... we had sneaked onto the grounds one night. As a dare. I was meant to steal a rose from the maze. But instead, I met her.

(AMATO nods. She did not need to know the details of the forbidden love story he was going to narrate- at least not now. She pauses, collects her stuff and leaves the room without another word.)