Chapter 3

Dream's POV:

I held my twin as he growled at my prank, when the stern voice of our teacher made me look up, startled. 

"Dream! That's not how you teach someone anything! Apologize." I felt a slight sting of guilt that I might have gone too far this time until Moon assured Violett that he's fine and we were just messing around. Our teacher looked at us with an annoyed but defeated expression. 

"Don't send each other under the flower garden" she sighed, turning around to walk out of the water to help warm up the now shivering and quiet Blue with a blanket she had brought with her. I also started to feel a little cold. Why didn't we do this when the days were warmer, like during greenleaf? Then we wouldn't freeze to death right now. 

I examined my twin. He's still grumpy and wet, but he doesn't seem to be freezing. Perks of being a night elf. I took his hand and led him out of the water. He sighed, visibly relieved to be on steady ground again and plumped down on the floor. I sat down next to him, looking into the sky, feeling how my skin absorbs the sunlight to convert it into energy, the food of day elves. It feels good, very warm and welcoming. I leaned on my twin's shoulder, closing my eyes and started to shiver a little when the wind picked up. 

"Violett, why didn't we go swimming when it was warmer?" I heard Blue complain. 

"Because Humans always come here during newleaf and greenleaf and it would be too dangerous for us" she answered carefully, knowing what Blue's reaction will be. 

"Humans!? Really? But I wanted to see them" he exclaimed, disappointed. 

"No Blue, Humans are dangerous. They will enslave us for our magic if they ever find us."  Violett said sternly. There was no point in arguing with her about Humans and the dangers that they posed to us. But I agree with her, as far as we know humans, they imprison or hurt every being they see. We're just lucky that only very few humans know about us. 

"What do you wanna do tonight?" Moon whispered in my ear. I looked in Violett's direction who's having a small argument with Blue about Humans. 

"We could explore that cave we found last night" I whispered back. My twin smiled in my direction and nodded slightly, eyes closed shut because of the sunlight. I wrapped my arms around Moon to warm myself a little through his body heat. 

"You're cold" he stated, slightly concerned. 

"I'm fine" I answered, trying to suppress another wave of shivers. Moon sighed.
"You're a bad liar Dream" I chuckled defeated. "I know"
I looked up to watch the sunshine being reflected off of the clear water, sparkling and glittering like stars, with the forest continuing on the other side of the huge lake. It's a beautiful panorama. 

"I think that's enough for today, let's go home" Violett announced, helping Blue to his feet. We stood up and made our way back home. The sun was now starting to set and the wind picked up again, making me shiver once more. Moon looked concerned in my direction, but I pretended not to care and continued on our way home.

Once home I curled up in a blanket on the couch. It was colder than I expected and I couldn't feel my fingers anymore. It's still some time before sundown, but I couldn't bring myself to go outside for more sunlight. Moon sat down next to me and hugged me to warm me up a little. We sat like this for a while, silent. Moon fell asleep pretty soon and I zoned out as well. Swimming was exhausting and the walk back home wasn't really fun. But it was something new and it was exciting. I watched as the sun slowly disappeared behind the trees of the forest and our folk finished whatever they were doing and went to sleep as the time of the night elves began. I must've fallen asleep at some point because I woke up to Moon not so gently shaking me awake. 

"Dream, wake up!~" He chirped, mocking my behavior in the morning. I sleepily chuckled and opened my eyes, which had very little effect. It was pitch black except the small radius that mine and Moon's glow lit up. I stood up and shook my head to quickly chase away the tiredness. The night was pretty cold so I took one of our coats and wrapped it around myself before following my twin down the branches. 

"Now I'm the brave one" Moon smirked and I sighed displeased before chuckling silently. 

"Alright mister I-can-see-in-the-dark, bring us to the cave" I declared, playfully pushing him in the vague direction that the cave was in. My twin snickered, then took my hand and dragged me behind himself as he started to run through the forest. I suppressed a squeal and matched his speed, desperately trying to make out the ground in our dim glow so I wouldn't stumble over any stones or branches. Adrenaline rushing through my veins, I smiled brightly about the adventure that we're going on and let out an excited laugh. Moon glanced quickly in my direction, the same bright smile on his face. We sprinted through the forest for some time until I tripped over some roots and stumbled into my brother. We both fell to the ground, rolling over the floor until some bushes caught us. After a few seconds of silence, Moon started laughing. 
"This happens every time" he exclaimed, trying to slow down his breath. 

"That's because I can't see!" I replied agitated, chuckling a little. We lay on the ground, looking into the sky for a while, watching as the moon slowly approached the highest point in the sky. Eventually we stood up, cleaned our clothes and continued our way to the possible adventure before us.