Chapter Eight

Steve's POV.

I'm already waiting in Natasha's favorite book cafe, the same one Clint and I went this afternoon. There is no one around except the receptionist and I. She isn't the one I saw earlier, but another young lady with ombré dirty blond hair with a fair complexion. I got myself a non-fiction novel about the Cold War and a cup of hot red tea at the side, but they remain untouched. My eyes are glued at the entrance of the cafe, silently hoping that a smug, familiar looking woman with red hair and green eyes would enter.

From the afternoon till now, the rain is still pouring heavily and continuously. I look at my leather strapped watch on my wrist and I sigh. It's around a minute before half past nine, I pray that Natasha didn't change her mind on this. Not half a shadow I see outside the cafe, I continue to wait patiently for Natasha's arrival.

I hear the door open directly after a minute, a lady with flame red hair steps in and places her umbrella aside. She is dressed in a simple white shirt and dark grey sweatpants. As I try to get a clearer look at her face, afraid that I'd recognize the wrong person, that woman really is Natasha. I swallow my saliva and inhale deeply as she sees me before walking towards my direction - beside the window.

"H-Hi, Nat."

I stammer a little, but Natasha didn't greet me back. The receptionist walks to our table and takes her order, Natasha just wants some water. She nods and walks away after that. Natasha stares at me intensely in the eye, and she looks rather intimidating.

"Talk whatever you want to say. It's Natasha for you."

She softly says, but there isn't harshness in her tone. Instead, Natasha sounds disappointed but the glare in her emerald eyes didn't fade. How she reminds me a lot of a cat. I mentally gather the words I want to say to her.

"I shouldn't have yelled at you," I blurt. When Natasha raises a perfect eyebrow with narrowed lips, I can already tell that she isn't convinced at all with cheesy apologies. I gather all the strength and encouragement I gave myself, and a small moral boost from Clint, I know I have to win Natasha back.

"I know you hate mushy and cliche apologies, but I can't help myself. I can't expect more from such a best friend you are to me, despite you like insulting or being sarcastic to me half of the time. I can tell you, I treasure our friendship than time can measure. If I were to make a choice between wealth, or my friendship with you, I'm telling you without hesitance, I would absolutely choose you. Money is important, but its value loses to a true friendship. I can earn money, but I can't purchase a true friendship with all the dollar bills I have. I know, friendship takes time to build; to develop. Understanding, trust. I just want to say.. I-I'm really sorry for spitting those horrible words at you, Natasha. You say you're a monster, Natasha.. But you're not, I'm the true monster now. Whatever the cost, you can punch me; kick me; scold me, whatever... I just want my best friend back, because I really can't a quiet room next to mine..."

My voice had cracked only halfway through my apology, and crystal clear tears have already welled up to my baby blue eyes. I restrain them from trickling and I take in deep breaths of air. Natasha already had her head turned, she's facing the window and she wipes her cheek with the back of her hand. I hear her sniffing, and I have an urge to comfort her but she'll snarl at me. Natasha faces me with a tear streaked face after I finished talking.

"Steve, just shut up." Natasha brutally wipes off a tear and bites the inside of her cheek, hard. The blonde receptionist comes with her water at the wrong time, but she can read the situation. She silently places the glass of water in front of Natasha and walks off to the cash register. "Go and be a book writer already, god." Natasha says.

"Natasha, I'm still waiting for the rest of your story about Talia."

I say softly, Natasha just glares at me through glassy green eyes and hides her face behind her palms. Her small body trembles and shakes when she cries, I didn't mean to say those to make her weep..

"I seriously don't deserve a best friend like you. Don't follow me." Natasha says flatly before standing up from her seat and running out of the cafe with teary eyes and quick footsteps.

"Natasha, wait!!" I'm in great shock and I jog behind her, keeping up with her pace. But I don't forget to pay for the drinks by leaving a five dollar note. The receptionist is clearly confused.

Natasha is fast, her small figure completely soaked in the pouring rain. Splashes of water are made by Natasha as her feet carry her. It takes me a while to actually catch up to her, and I grab her by the shoulders, halting her. She struggles with strength from my hold, but she doesn't anymore as she's tired. I remove my hands from her shoulders.

"Natasha, listen to me."

"Why do you even bother about me? Didn't I tell you to not follow me?"

She snaps. The tension between us is real, but that doesn't stop me from answering Natasha's question. It hurts me to see her like this. Her green eyes turn red and swollen.

"Because you're my best friend. Like Bucky, I'm with you till the end of the line." Tears form outside my blue eyes and I try to keep my voice from cracking again. "I'm not leaving you behind."

Our clothes are soaked by the heavy rain but neither of us care. Unexpectedly, I feel a pair of slender arms around me and they take me by surprise. The pair of arms belong to Natasha. She has her head buried in my chest, sobbing silently. I hold her gently, I can't help but cry a little. Who said men can't cry? With a crying Natasha in my arms, I take us both back to Avengers Tower. I don't want Natasha to fall sick, she's already trembling because she's cold.

**********************************

I hand Natasha a towel for her to wipe herself dry after we returned to Avengers Tower, and I ignored Tony's taunts because they were unnecessary. I send Edith a text, thanking her for the hospitality given to Natasha, and she replies back with a 'no problem'. Natasha takes the towel reluctantly and whispers 'thank you' to me, I can't help but feel more guilty. I nod and I wipe the rainwater away from face and arms. We're currently in Natasha's room, she hasn't spoke anything after she hugged me.

"Are you still mad at me?"

I ask, Natasha turns over and meets my baby blue eyes. I miss that trademark smirk from her lips, and her sarcasm. She shakes her head slightly and dries her soaked red hair with her towel.

"I'm mad at myself more." She whispers, I take the towel from her and I help her to dry her hair like yesterday while listening to her. "To be honest, I still think I'm right. But now I realize that my attitude just leads to a shattered friendship, I-I notice how important you are. I have to endure. There's no point being mad at you anymore."

I sigh, now I owe her more. Natasha isn't angry at me anymore, but why do I feel empty? The Boulder that pressures me is now gone, I should be happy. Instead, I feel more awkward, and sorry. A zillion apologies will never be enough.

"Natasha, can we be best friends again?"

"I thought we already are, and you said so yourself." She gives me a small, faint smile. Natasha leans her head against my chest, and a warm, fuzzy feeling overwhelms my heart. "I'm not going to let this ruin our three-year friendship, Steve. I forgive you, but there won't be a second time. Pinkie swear?" She raises up her pinkie.

Boy, Natasha can be a child at times. I smile back, nodding while wrapping my pinkie with hers. Thank god this is finally over, over with a positive ending from the conflict we've encountered. I solemnly swear, I'll make sure this never happens again.

**********************************

A/N: I'm currently on a two-week break but the first four days suck because I have to attend seminars -_- but yay I have lots of time to update more chapters! So far, I think the response is alright though! Feedbacks are always welcome, you guys are the best <3