Chapter Seventeen

Some Third Person

"So when the two step in, we jump out of our hiding spots and wish Nat a 'Happy Birthday'!"

Clint chimes and suggests, he is wearing a dark purple shirt with a leather jacket over, and jeans. The remaining Avengers, including Nick Fury and Maria Hill whom came early for the party to help out, are all dressed in their best clothes. The living room is boldly decorated with balloons and streamers in eye-catching colors. There's a banner with the enormous words in blood red and black- 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY NATASHA!!' on it.

"Agent Barton, are you like what, five?" Fury asks his favorite agent sarcastically with a scoff, everyone bursts out in laughter except Clint who rolls his eyes.

"But I like Clint's idea! We'd ought to bring in some fun in parties." Thankfully, Bruce had Clint's back. They give each other a high five, a 'brofist' and friendly slaps on the backs. The duo cheer while throwing their arms in the air like children, laughing.

Fury 'facepalms' with both of his palms (a pair of palms aren't enough, actually) and shakes his head in disappointment, "Kids..."

Suddenly, Jarvis's voice attracts everyone's attention and the noise is silenced. "Mr. Stark, Mr. Rogers and Miss Romanoff have returned."

"Everyone! Quick! Hide! And be silent." Surprisingly when Tony made the command, everyone listens. Nobody protests. This is almost like a game of hide and seek, but minus the catcher. Tony runs to the curtains, and Maria too. Clint dives behind the sofa, Bruce slid underneath a faux grizzly bear rug. Fury hides behind shelves of books.

---

Steve

This is it. I wonder how did the others go on with the surprise that lies behind this door. I'm so engrossed with my thoughts on Natasha's reaction if she steps inside, I didn't notice I've been frozen at the doorstep for minutes.

"Steve?" Natasha clasps her hand with mine, attracting my attention on her. Confused, she asks, "What're you thinking?"

"Oh, n-nothing. Let's go in." Great, I stuttered. Acting naturally as I could, I scan my wallet on a device beside the sliding, translucent glass doors and a beep is heard. I have an access card in order to enter the interior of Avengers Tower.

I hold Natasha's hand and I lead her to the living room- which is now splendidly decorated with so much colours, bringing in the spirit of a party. But something is missing to the final touch of everything- the Avengers. Where are they?

Natasha's emerald eyes are widen to the max, with her jaw dropping and her mouth shaped into a big 'O'. "Rogers, you have some real explaining to do." She fails to sound stern, in fact, she sounded more like she can't believe this is all planned for her.

"I sure do, Nat. But maybe I don't." I smile stupidly. The next thing is, I become startled.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY WIDOW!!!" Tony, Clint, Bruce, along with Maria and Fury reveal themselves out of their hiding places, I assume, and wished an already stunned Natasha a 'Happy Birthday'. She is beyond speechless and everyone greets her with warm hugs.

"Are you people insane?!" Natasha breathlessly says, she obviously never expected this. I can see her tearing up, but those are tears of joy. "How am I going to thank you all?"

"Spangles organized this, Red. Wink wink." Tony adds and winks towards Natasha and I. Heaving a sigh, I expected to be anonymous, but it doesn't matter now. All of a sudden, I'm taken aback and attacked by a pair of slender, porcelain pale arms around me, they belong to Natasha.