₀₇. ravka isn't home

CHAPTER SEVEN▪▫▪▫▪

CHAPTER SEVEN
▪▫▪▫▪

WAKING UP IN NIKOLAI'S ARMS FELT LIKE HOME—that alone was enough to terrify her; Morana never had a home and there was a reason for it. She was a plague, and she would only destroy what she touched. And yet, Morana basked in the feeling, as he slept, allowing herself to get lost in his warmth.

After a few moments, she squirmed out of his arms, leaving home, as she shoved the moments of the previous night in the back of her head—she hadn't died, and they were headed to Ravka, there was no reason to be concerned about it anymore, no reason to show Nikolai how broken she truly was.

Nikolai. Her lips tugged into a soft smile. His name rolled off her tongue naturally like she was always meant to know it. Perhaps that had been the reason for her reluctance in calling him Sturmhond—it felt unnatural, and she was as unnatural as she wanted to get.

Morana was about to stand up, to leave the cabin, when Nikolai's hand wrapped around her arm and pulled her back on the bed. Looking over her shoulder, Morana raised an eyebrow at him, pretending the best she could to be unbothered.

"You're not leaving," he told her gruffly. Morana rolled her eyes as she tried to leave again but he wouldn't budge.

"Let go of me, Nikolai."

He let her arm go but snaked one arm around her waist and pulled her back on the bed, so she was lying again. He lifted himself on his elbow and looked down at her, his eyes blazing, all sign of the golden captain gone. "You're not leaving until I get some answers."

"You honestly think I can't best you in a fight?" asked Morana.

Nikolai's serious façade broke for a fraction as a devilish smile was painted on his lips. "I know you can best me, darling, and I would let you."

Morana narrowed her eyes at him. "Just let me go."

He shook his head with a click of his tongue. "I'm not letting you go until you tell me what the hell happened last night. So either do that or fight me, Morana."

"Nothing happened last night."

Nikolai rolled his eyes. "You can pretend as much as you like nothing happened when you leave this room. But now... Now I need answers."

Clenching her jaw, Morana shoved him off her and climbed out of the bed. She couldn't tell him, admit that she was an abomination to one of the only people who'd never seen her as such. She ran a hand through her hair as she reached the chest where she kept her clothes, biting her lip to keep herself from talking, to keep herself from crying? Why would she even cry?

"Mora?"

Morana ignored him but didn't move as she heard his footsteps behind her, she didn't move when he stepped up behind her, slipping his arms around her waist and pulling her to him. Against her better judgment, Morana melted into his embrace. She could pretend like nothing happened once she left the room—that's what he'd said.