₁₅. power of merzost

CHAPTER FIFTEEN▪▫▪▫▪

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
▪▫▪▫▪

MORANA ZORESLAVA WANTED TO KILL HER FATHER.

But then again so did the rest of the world.

At the moment though, she wanted to kill him for one reason only: making Alina Starkov probe into her past and thus forcing Morana to retell her life story.

It took a lot of questions and answers but, finally, Alina was satisfied and moved on to the next topic at hand; Mal.

"He's not here?" Alina asked as they got closer to the caves where they could already hear people talking. Morana shook her head.

"He's getting closer though, the blaring in my ears is lessening," she told Alina with a soft smile and Alina sighed in relief. "He always finds you, Alina. He's alive, I promise."

"I still find your link odd."

"You're not the only one," replied Morana with a snort. "To be fairly honest I thought I was linked to you when I first found you two. I was ready to kill you if we couldn't sever it. I wasn't about to spend eternity attached to your hip."

Alina rolled her eyes at Morana but the latter just raised an eyebrow, and Alina gaped when she realized she was being serious. The Sun Summoner scoffed. "You really think you could've killed me?"

"Yes," replied Morana simply. "I could probably trick you into walking into a sword out of your own accord, Alina. But you're my friend, so we'll have no stabbing in the near future."

"That's reassuring."

"Isn't it?"

Alina smiled, though it faltered as they got closer to the caves, she grabbed Morana's arm and halted her in her steps. "Who knows about your father?" she asked her lowly.

Morana's shoulders tensed and she sighed. "Nikolai, Tamar and Tolya, Zoya—"

"Zoya?" Alina looked offended.

"She found out on her own, sunshine, and proceeded to be a real bitch about it too." Morana turned fully to Alina, and hesitated before asking, "Do you hate me? Because of—"

"No." Alina shook her head without hesitation and grabbed Morana's hands in hers, "Kirigan ruins lives, Morana, he destroys people. You can't be blamed for who your father is, that's not who you are. You saved a little girl tonight, you saved Adrik, Nadia, Tamar, and countless others because you fought against him. You're not like him, not where it matters."

"Thank you." Morana swallowed a lump in her throat and nodded, giving Alina a tight smile as she tried to keep the tears at bay—she was not about to cry over something the human sunbeam said. She took a deep breath and let go of Alina's hands, as they both started walking towards the caves again.