the call that changed lives

~ Federico Romano ~
📍Romano Home, Italy
July 17, 2012
7:00 p.m.

At the moment, the entire family, all 31 of us, were sitting at our dining table.

Everyone was having their conversations, none of them related to the mafia. We had a rule within the house that we never talked about work at the dining table, it kept things as stress-free within the family as possible. We may run the mafia, but were always a family first.

I was in the middle of having a discussion with Gio when I got a phone call and suddenly every conversation stopped and all eyes turned to me.

I felt my brows furrow as I reached into the chest pocket within my blazer.

There are orders set that I don't receive any calls at dinnertime unless no one under me and Gio can deal with the matter. Dinner is set aside for family.

I took my phone out of my blazer and my eyes narrowed when I read it was coming from Greenland. We don't have any contacts in Greenland.

"It's from Greenland. I'm putting it on speaker, so be silent." I'd rather have everyone know something that's clearly urgent than have to repeat it to everyone and get questions I don't know the answer to.

Everyone was leaning in as I swiped the screen to accept the call then placed it in front of me on the table and turned the volume up.

"Hello, is this Mr. Federico Romano?" a male voice from the other line spoke. There was a distinct accent he held, which I assume is from Greenland.

"Yes, this is he. Who am I speaking to?" My eyes were on my brothers across from me.

"Mr. Romano, I am Malik Jensen, a social worker in Narsaq, Greenland. I have your daughter here, Miss Giada Romano-" Ambra's hand shot out to mine and I could have sworn my heart skipped a beat.

"Giada? You found my daughter?" She interrupted. Her voice was steady, but her eyes were lined with unshed tears.

I was frozen, so was the rest of my family. All their eyes were wide, unblinking as the social worker continued explaining. A spark of hope bloomed in my chest, that maybe just maybe I would get my daughter back.

"Yes, ma'am, I do. We're at the police station and she's currently in the next office over. I was calling because her adopted parents, Pavel and Anya Adjuk were just killed in a drunk driving accident, and I was hoping that you would like to legally adopt her."

Of fucking course I want my daughter back

"Of course we would." If this is a joke, Im going to hunt him to the end of the earth.

"I'm glad to hear it. We will be on the next flight to Italy, it leaves in 2 hours, and is a 19 hour flight. If you could send me your address so we can drive directly there, that would be appreciated."

Across from me, my mother was wildly gesturing with her hands,: go on, find out more.

"Of course I will... Could you tell us a bit about her?"

Literally anything to hold us over until we can meet her, I wanted to say, but I had to hold myself together for the time-being.

"I've only known her for about 15 minutes, but as far as I can tell... she hasn't had the best childhood." I tensed. His voice was solemn but also sounded sort of... guilty? Why the fuck is he guilty?

"Sir, what is that supposed to mean?" Alvize spoke up. He was one of the most affected by Giada leaving, they were always together as kids. Literally inseparable.