scars

~ Federico POV ~
📍Romano Home
July 19th, 2012
6:45 A.M.

Ever since Giada was taken from them, Federico had gotten into the habit of checking in on all his children last thing at night and first thing in the morning. Just cracking open their door and ensuring they were still there alive and breathing; safe, gave him more comfort than anyone would know.

And if one of his children wasn't going to be home for an extended period of time, they all had to check in a couple of times a day, which no one ever had an issue with completing. They all understood the reasoning behind it, and the last thing they would want to do is unnecessarily worry their parents.

All of his sons (bar Viz, because he was in the last room) he knew were in their room, some of them were getting ready while others were still asleep.

Panic quickly consumed Federico when he found his daughter's bed empty. His mind reeled back to when he found her missing all those years ago, worst case scenarios playing out he found both Giada and Rora's bed empty.

She wouldn't have left. Right?

Why would she do that? Did we drive her away last night? Insult her?

Dinner replayed in his mind and he tried to figure out where things could have gone wrong but he was coming up blank.

He rushed into the room searching for anything that might tell him where his girls went. His heart was pounding in his chest, heartbeat echoing in his ears as he looked around the scarcely decorated room.

Lost in his panic he didn't hear someone calling for him from the doorway until their hand was on his shoulder.

A different kind of fright consumed him as he shifted on his feet and cocked back his arm to punch whoever the fuck snuck up on him when he caught the sight of his eldest son. A breath he didn't know he had been holding released from him as his body relaxed and he took in the confused and worried face on Giovanni.

"Dad? Why are you panicking?" he asked, his hand still on his father's arm, brows furrowed and concern lacing his voice, "In Giada's room of all places."

"She's not here," Federico tried his damnest to keep his voice calm and level but his temper was dwindling. Fast. "Neither is Rora. Why would she just up and leave? Did we do something to-"

"Dad, she's not-"

"I mean, she could have told us and we would have worked some-" there was a pressure on his chest. A horrible, gut-wrenching feeling making its way through his veins. He couldn't concentrate on what he was being told, let alone make sense of it. This couldn't be happening. It couldn't. He wouldn't lose them again.

"Dad, she and Rora are fine, they're-"

"I didn't even get to hug her-"

Hands were suddenly clasped on either of his shoulders, firm pressure being added until he was grounded again.

"Dad." His eyes were wide and concern was apparent on his face.

"Son."

He wouldn't say he was calm now. Far from it, actually. But it was better than he was a moment ago.

"Don't ask questions, just follow me." and he started down the stairs, Federico hot on his heels.

His mind was reeling. The 30-second walk through the hall, down the stairs, across the dining room, and into the living room felt like an eternity. But when he crossed the threshold of the living room and took in the image before him, he felt like he could breathe again.