CHAPTER 17. SPLIT

*Author's note: Strong trigger warning! This book contains graphic depictions of violence with some disturbing scenes involving m*rder and the use of weapons, torture, domestic violence, including mental and physical abuse, sexual situations and mature language. It may trigger certain individuals who are sensitive to this subject matter. It is marked mature. You must be 17 or older to read this book.

I stare straight ahead as I'm waiting for the elevator doors to open. The two women behind me are chatting it up about an upcoming party they're attending at the governor's mansion this weekend. I would usually tune my brain out right about now, not needing to fill it with useless blabber that doesn't concern me, but I hear "blah, blah, blah, blah...governor and it strikes a nerve.

"His parties are just the best. The food of course is catered in and always so delicious. I spend most of my time over by the bar and hovering over the hors d'oeuvre table. I'm so full by the end of the night I can hardly move."

"Oh me too, Kim. Me too! I'm so glad you took that promotion because we've really hit it off. Now, I'll have someone to hang out with this year, so I'm actually looking forward to it!"

"Yeah, these things can get pretty boring. It's all about shaking hands and marketing yourself. The ladder to the top starts forming a line at these parties. Hell, I've paid my dues waiting in that line!"

"Haven't we all?"

They step into the elevator and suddenly realize I'm within listening distance and clam up. They both exchange awkward glances with each other and then stare ahead at the lights on the panel, praying the doors will open soon so the awkwardness will end and they can continue yammering away.

While we're going up, I study how each of them are dressed and memorize the badges they're wearing. When the elevator finally comes to a stop on the eleventh floor and they step out into the hall, they continue talking about how that Kim lady is now in charge of the catering.

After eavesdropping on my new best friends, a new plan starts to emerge in my twisted little mind. As soon as the doors close, I frantically mash the first floor button over and over so I can get out of here. This new plan is brilliant and will keep me from getting my hands dirty. It will also allow me to fly under the radar a bit more than usual. I definitely need to dial it back a bit since I have these agents on my ass now. The last thing I need to do is get caught. I have a lot more trash to take out and after finding all the new evidence in Darrell's house, it's starting to pile up and reeks of criminal pieces of shit.

When I get back into my car, I suddenly have a strong desire to do something completely spontaneous. It just so happens it will go along perfectly with my new plan, too.

"So I really think a platinum blonde color with a mid-length bob would look super cute on you. It's pretty drastic though, so I must warn you, you'll probably be unrecognizable when I'm finished."

"Yes, that sounds great. Let's do it!"

As the hair stylist walks away to go get her supplies, I zone out for a moment, lost in the reflection in the mirror in front of me. The image taunts me, You can change your look all you want. I still know who you are. You can't hide from me.

I glare back, daring her to test me right now. Shut the fuck up! I battle back, right as the stylist returns.

"Are you ready to get started, hun?"