CHAPTER 19. RAPTURE

*Author's note: Strong trigger warning! This book contains graphic depictions of violence with some disturbing scenes involving m*rder and the use of weapons, torture, domestic violence, including mental and physical abuse, sexual situations, self harm and mature language. It may trigger certain individuals who are sensitive to this subject matter. It is marked mature. You must be 17 or older to read this book.

I'm suddenly overcome by emotion as we leave the restaurant. Her words continue to haunt me, and the last thing I want is for Bryce to get hurt. He was kind enough to help me out tonight and as I look over at him with deep admiration; it masks the turmoil raging inside of my head. He has been nothing but nice to me, and I will not let her use one ounce of my physical abilities to harm him. It's the mental hold she has over me that continues to shake me. I have to focus and stay in control. It's the only way he stands a chance because there's no winning her over. She's too fucked up. All the abusive men before him have turned her into the monster growing inside of me and all I want now is a chance at a normal life and to be rid of her.

"Katrina! Did you hear what I just asked you?"

"Umm, what? Sorry, I must have zoned out for a second."

"Do you want to go back to your hotel now, or would you like to go to this place called the Jazz Lounge and have a few drinks with me?"

"Oh, the Jazz Lounge sounds great. I love jazz music!"

"Oh, me too! The Jazz Lounge it is then! You're going to love it!"

We arrive at the club and find a parking spot right away, which is pretty rare in this part of town. I'm thrilled because my feet are already killing me and when I said yes to the club, I didn't think about the harm it would cause my poor, aching feet. Bryce runs around and opens my door to help me out. I pause for a moment when I look up at him and his eyes search mine, as if to ask permission to give him a chance. I think he knows my heart is fragile. I haven't told him much, but somehow he must know. When I take his hand, I hold on tight and don't let go. His gentle grip lets me know he's willing to put in the effort to gain my trust.

He leads me through the crowded upscale club to a small table near the back. A waitress immediately comes over and we order our drinks. The music is soothing. The atmosphere is electrifying. His presence is intoxicating, and I'm thoroughly enjoying every second of being with him that I don't want this night to end. What started out as a self-inflicted melt down turned into a fortuitous adventure with the man of my dreams. At this point, I don't want to risk pinching myself to see if it's real. I couldn't handle that reality if it wasn't.

The live band that's playing here tonight is amazing. The music is pumping through the club and their stage presence is energizing the crowd. Even though my feet are killing me, I want to dance, but I guess I'm waiting to be properly asked.

We rest our elbows on the small, linen-covered table as we lean against one another. We sip our wine while listening intently to the incredibly talented musicians that are treating our ears to some of the best jazz I've ever heard before. As I stare ahead, lost in the sea of people dancing in front of us, I suddenly feel his warm hand move across my upper thigh under the table and then come to rest on top of my leg. He keeps it there as I glance over at him and he returns a reassuring smile. I lay my hand on top of his, lace my fingers between his and lean my head over onto his shoulder. When he kisses the top of my head, butterflies flutter through my stomach as a warm, soothing, euphoric feeling sweeps through my entire body. He has already won me over mind, body, and soul. In this precious moment, I'm lost in the music and all the people in the club seem to just drift away. It's just him and I and there's not another solitary thing on my mind.