Six.

SIX

"Are you okay? I set off as soon as I got the call," Luke says, practically sprinting towards me through the schools reception, and when he reaches me, and throws his arms around me.

"I'm fine, it's just a burst lip," I tell him.

He pulls back and cups my face with his palms. "Yes, and a very bruised cheek," he sighs, and shakes his head, gritting his teeth. "I'm fucking furious. Who did this to you?"

I shake my head while it's still cupped in his hands. "It doesn't matter."

He frowns. "It absolutely matters. It was Callum wasn't it?" He says with a venomous tone on Calum's name.

I stay quiet. Not willing to admit it to him. Not when him and everyone else warned me to steer clear of Calum.

He scrunches his eyes tight, and kisses me on the forehead. "I'll fucking kill him," he whispers, more to himself than me.

Mr Harrington coughs, getting both of our attention. "Mr. Hemings, I'm sorry I had to call you in while you were at work. It appears that there was a fight involving your daughter."

"Yes I can see that. Look at her face!" Luke shouts and gestures to my bruised and bloodied face, making Mr Harrington jump at his sudden outburst.

"I have, Sir, and I can assure you that we have it all under control. I don't know what our receptionist told you over the phone, but there is no need to be angry at Helen. She is in no trouble and can return to her classes as normal."

"I don't need to know the details. All I need to know is that Calum Hood gets a proper punishment," Luke seethes.  "How dare your school let this happen to my daughter!" Luke shouts, pushing his hand through his hair. "I mean, what kind of school are you running here, letting drunk students on the premises?"

"I can assure you, sir, that Mr Hood has been punished with a weeks detention."

"Not good enough," Luke spits.

"Not good enough, sir?" Mr Harrington stutters, intimidated by the war Luke is towering over him with his strong, broad frame.

"A weeks detention?" Luke scoffs. "I want that bastard excluded."

"Excluded?" Mr Harrington asks in surprise. "Here at Clear View Academy, we believe all students deserve a second chance."

"A second chance?" Luke scoffs. "Helens face is bruised to fuck. You really think he deserve a second chance?"

"Luke!" I shout. "Stop with the swearing. It's not Mr Harrington's fault."

Luke sighs, running his hand through his hair. He looks at me, and it's as if my face alone calms him, his breathing steadying, his body visibly relaxing. Then he turns to face Mr Harrington. "I apologise. But Helen will be coming home with me until I see this school fit for her return. I'll be calling about an update on Calum."

Mr Harrington sighs, my guess because he knows he won't get anywhere with this conversation. "Very well," he says.

Luke grabs my hand, "C'mon, Helen," he says, gently tugging on my arm as he begins to walk out of the school reception. I give Mr Harrington a small smile as I follow Luke out.

I follow behind him, through the schools car park, my hand held tight in his, until we reach his car, before we get in and drive off the schools' premises.

Sitting in Luke's car and staring out my window, it think about the events that have happened.

The way Calum transformed into someone I don't recognise. How he turned into the man everyone warned me about. Simone who I have been sticking up for all this time, only to make me look so foolish.

Calum hurt me. Not just emotionally, but physically too. Thinking about it reminds me of the pain on my face. My cheek hurts and my lip stings.

I pull down the sun visor for the mirror to take a look at the damage on my face. My cheek is red and swollen, and the beginning of a bruise is visible. And my lip is split. Deep. Dry crusty blood is gathered around the wound, but the cut is still bleeding slightly. I touch it with the tip of my tongue and instantly taste copper, making my lip sting even more, and I wince at the pain.

"Are you okay?" Luke asks me, breaking the silence in the car.

I look to him, pushing the sun visor back up into place, no longer wanting to look at myself, at the bruises and cuts caused by someone I trusted. A reminder of my naivety. I should have just listened to everyone around me. "Yeah, I'll be fine. It just stings."

He frowns, and glances at me quickly before returning his eyes back to the road. "Do you think you'll need stitches?"

I shake my head. "No, I'm sure I'll be fine. I'll just have to be careful with it this week. I'll be back to normal in no time," I say, desperate for him to stop looking at me so concerned. To stop looking at me like an injured little girl. I can handle my own battles.

He nods, but he purses his lips.

The silence in the car takes over again, the radio playing quietly in the background.

"How was your day-"

"I told you he was no good for you didn't I?" He says, interrupting me before I could finish my question.

"Who?" I say to him, playing dump. Obviously I know he's talking about Calum, but even I don't want to admit how right everyone was.

"That arsehole you've been seeing. I knew there was a reason I hated him."

I smile, "you hate every boy I see, Luke," I tease him, trying to lighten the mood a little.

He doesn't play along. His face hard when he glances at me, and it's clear he's still pissed off. Luckily not at me though this time.

"I want to kill him," he tells me.

"I know," I reply.

He pulls onto our drive and turns off the engine. Taking off his seatbelt, he turns to me. "I care about you so much you know," he says, his voice calm and soft, not matching his face at all. "So much. The mere thought of anyone touching you makes me crazy. And now I'm looking at your beautiful face, all bruised and swollen and bleeding," his hands clench into fists on his thighs. "I'm mad. I'm so fucking mad. Honestly, Helen, you have no idea how fucking furious I am right now."

I stay silent, looking at him.

"I'm supposed to keep you safe. You're my main priority. And I've failed. All because some boy is obsessed with you." He sighs, then looks out the car window and shakes his head, as if trying to shake away the anger. "I don't blame him. Christ, if I was him, I think I would be hurt too." His blue eyes meet mine. "You're so prefect. You're so perfect and he's hurt you and I want to kill him."

"You could be you're own solicitor in court," I joke, trying one more time to lighten the mood.

He shakes his head and smiles. "That's my girl. Even when I'm mad you can still make me smile," he says, warming up my heart with his words. God this man drives me crazy. "C'mon, let's go fix you up."