chapter thirty one: not so happy birthday

Idk if i have to put a trigger warning
for this chapter, but mentions of:
violence and (a bit) blood

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

When Millie came back from the bathroom and got back into bed with Joel, he was reading a book in the dim light of the candles.

Millie lay down next to him, and since he was sitting up next to her, she rested her head on his thigh. But her head was in the other direction, so she couldn't see him start to smile.

He put his left hand on her head and began to stroke her hair lightly while holding the book with his right hand. Now and then he would remove his hand to turn the page, but then put it right back on her head. This went on for a few minutes until he stopped and gave a short sigh.

„Millie?" he then asked softly to see if she was still awake.

„Huh?" she murmured back quietly without moving.

He hesitated for a moment, but then began to speak,
„I wanna take you out"

"What?" she asked back surprised and turned to face him now.

Joel carefully put the book aside and placed his free hand on her cheek.

"Like a date?" she asked, looking up at him with wide eyes.

"Yeah, of course only if you want that," he replied a bit nervous.

"Yes I'd like to" she replied immediately with a grin.

"Next weekend?" he asked back and started stroking her again. 

"Yes sure, Saturday would be good. Friday is Lucia's birthday, you know, Mr. Grant's daughter"

„Sure, Saturday sounds good" Joel replied, watching Millie for a moment while she closed her eyes again and snuggled closer to his thigh. He put the blanket over her legs and back and then went back to his book.

・゚:⋆*・゚

The next day, just before Millie got home, Linh and Kurtis were standing in the bathroom in despair.

"Please just tell me, what's going on Linh?"

She had texted him that he should come over immediately, and he did. And now she didn't dare to tell him.

„Something happened" she murmured and tried to gather all her courage.

"Should I get Millie? Would you rather talk to her?" he asked and hugged her.

"No, I want to know what you think about it first," she replied. 

"It's okay, I think I know what you're trying to tell me," he replied.

„Really?"

"Yeah, I saw something," he said, which made Linh panic - Had he seen the pregnancy test?

But Kurtis hadn't seen it and was thinking of something completely different. He thought that conversation was about Millie, and he thinks Millie might be dating their professor.

„You did?" she asked hopefully.

"Yes, it can't be a coincidence, they clearly texted each other"

„What?" she asked back confused, "What are you talking about?"

„Uhm.. what were you talking about?" he asked back, also confused.

"Fuck Kurtis, I'm pregnant!" she exclaimed desperately.