FIFTEEN

AUBURON I watched anxiously as my mate and her mom made a circle around Layla's hospital bed with salt and lit candles all around it to begin the process of breaking this sleeping curse. I was excited to see my sister again, but nervous that something would go wrong or that it wouldn't work. I was frowning at those thoughts and before I realized Liani came and hugged me out of them. "It will be okay. I promise," she said as I snaked my arms around her waist, embracing her back. "I trust you," I whispered in her ear as I snuggled closer into her neck. Carro was purring at the scent of our mate and I know he is excited to meet Liani's wolf. She looked up and smiled at me before walking back over to help her mom. After about fifteen minutes everything was finally set up and Maya stood on one side of Layla and Liani on the other. They faced each other holding hands as they held them above Layla's body. I could feel the tension in the room as they begin to speak in Latin. Both Liani and Maya threw their heads back as they continued to speak in unison, still holding their hands together above Layla's body. Eventually, the room went pitch black and the only light was from the sun peeking through the curtains. I looked around the room in a frenzy as I was scared something went wrong. The tension in the room was thick and I found myself getting hot. I looked over at Dorian and there was so much worry on his face. My mom was pacing back and forth and my father was standing there stuck as if his whole body is frozen. ****LIANI As my mother and I did the chant trying to break the spell, I could sense there was a wall, or something blocking us from taking it down. I would be lying if I said I didn't feel any anxiety about this. My mother kept going and squeezed my hand tighter with each chant. So, I kept going. When our heads flung back, I was back on the beach with Layla. This time she was laying in the sand and looked extremely defeated. I wonder if she feels any pain from the last time it kicked me out? "Princess Layla!" I yell running over to her. She got up quickly and said, "You're back!" "I told you I would get you out of here, we're breaking the curse as you and I speak. I need you to focus on nothing but your life and what you want to get back to. After about five minutes of standing there with Layla, everything went black. "Mmhmm," I said as I came back to reality. I looked over and my mom was holding my hand. "Oh thank the goddess, you're okay!" she said. I looked around and I was in a hospital bed. I started to panic. "Is Layla okay? Did she wake up? Oh, Mom please tell me-" I started to say. "She's fine baby girl. She woke up about fifteen minutes ago," my mother says. "How long have I been out?" I ask. "About thirty minutes, give or take," she says. "Did you see her on the beach too?" I ask. "Huh, what? You went back to the beach with her?" she asks in confusion. "Yeah, shortly after we started chanting I was back on the beach telling Layla to focus on what she wanted to get back to." My mother just stared at me in curiosity. "Hmm, well, it seems that now that you met your mate and have come of age, your powers have come in. But, we don't know the full extent of what you can do yet. So, I want you to train with me moving forward."Speaking of powers, how did you get yours back? I remember you saying the original witch? But, I thought she was dead?" I ask. "She-" she was about to say before there was a soft knock on the door. It was Auburon. "I hope I'm not interrupting, I just wanted to come to check on you," he says, rushing to my side and grabbing my hand before placing a gentle kiss on the back of it. "Yeah, I'm okay, just a little tired," I say. "Is that normal?" he looks at my mother and asks. "Well this was her first spell, and it was a lot, especially for a beginner. So, I'd say so." my mother responds.He looks at her and nods before looking back at me. I look at my mother and she gets the memo as she says "I'll give you guys a minute." When the door finally closes Auburon pulls a chair next to me and leans his forehead to mine. "Thank you for what you did. Thank you for bringing my sister back to my family," he says in a soft voice. I smile and ask "how is she?""She's fine. She's ready to get back to her life," he says as he laughs. "She's already trying to leave the hospital room, but we're telling her that she should give herself some time." he says. "Have you asked her what happened?" I ask hesitantly. "No. Not yet," he says sternly. I see his jaw clench and I can tell that he doesn't want me to push the topic further. I simply nod. After a moment of silence, I try to get off the bed and Auburon asks "Where are you going? What are you trying to do?" "Umm, to see the princess?" I say. He smiles softly at me and then gets up to help me up.As we walked into the room, I see this man who looks extremely strong holding Princess Layla's hand. If I didn't know any better, I would say that he is her mate. When she notices my presence she looks up and says "YOU!" with a smile on her face as tears begin to fill her eyes. I bow gently at her as my body is a little sore and say "Princess,""Oh bitch, please, call me Layla and come give me a hug!!" I was shocked by how vulgar the princess' language was but it made me even more comfortable to be around her. I walk over to her and give her a hug and it feels like I'm hugging one of my closest friends. "Thank you so much for what you and your mom did for me," she says whispering in my ear. I pull away and smile. Layla looks at Dorian and smiles as she was getting ready to open her mouth then immediately closes it as she looks at Auburon. He scoffs in annoyance. "I already know, Lay," he says. I stand there looking confused at this interaction and what they're talking about. "W-what? You do?" she says shyly. Looking down at her hands playing with her fingers. "Yes, and I'm happy for you guys," he says. "Really?" She looks up as tears fill her eyes while a small smile spreads across her face. "Yes, I am," Auburon says. "I wish you guys would've me told sooner, but nonetheless, I am happy for you guys. I know Dorian will do right by you," he says and it all starts clicking into place."Well, in that case, Liani, this is my mate Dorian," Layla says. I give him a small smile and say "Hi, Dorian." "Future Queen," he says bowing. Layla's eyes widen as a bigger smile spreads across her face. I look over at Auburon and he shifts on his feet. I chuckle lightly at his nervousness. "AUBIE FOUND HIS MATE! AUBIE FOUND HIS MATE!" Layla says taunting him and we all start cracking up laughing.After a while of talking Auburon walks me back to my room and when we walk in there Demetri is pacing back and forth. "Oh thank goddess!!" he says, rushing towards me and hugging me. I stand still as I know Auburon isn't going to like this. I hear a low growl come from him and Demetri pulls away looking at me asking "Are you okay? How are you feeling? Oh, Li, when they said you passed out–" he says before hugging me again. This time Auburon's growl gets louder. Demetri pulls away again as I say "Im fine Demetri, thank you for being concerned, but I'm okay." He steps back and clears his throat obviously a little embarrassed. Auburon swiftly pulls me towards him wrapping his arm around my waist. "Well- Uh- ha, ha, I'll come back and check on you later Li," he says before stepping close to me, then stepping away again as he looked up at Auburon and scurried out the door."Who is that dweeb?" Auburon asks. "Demetri, the future alpha of my pack," I say awkwardly pulling away from Auburon and walking toward the bed. "He likes you," he says. I open my mouth to deny it then close my mouth instantly. Auburon growls. "Do you like him?" Auburon asks as his eyes flash from red to brown.