t h r e e

a/n:

banner to the top made by me
   •chapter's really short
      •i promise he meets her in the next chapter
         •Posted: July 20, 2015
∘⚬∘⚬∘⚬

t h r e e

December 18, 2014

I had woken up. My parents were there, beside my bed. And Tommy decided to be adorable today and yelled my name and hugged my arm that wasn't hooked to anything. Mom cried with joy and endlessly kissed my cheeks as Dad went to go call a nurse or something.

A while after my parents were being escorted out of the room, Mom stealing glances at me over her shoulder before the door shut.

For another hour or so, doctors and nurses ran tests on me, hooking me up to other machines that I was already not hooked to, ignoring my questions.

When they were done, they still decided not to answer my questions of what's going on, and what's that.

Then, my parents were back in my room now that the doctors were ready to discuss whatever.

Doctor Angus was the first to start. "As you know, last time Mason was in a coma, leukemia was less violent when he woke up." He looked up from his papers. "I'm afraid that's not the case this time."

Mom reached for my hand, almost blindly as she still looked at Doctor Angus. Dad wrapped his arm around Mom's shoulders and picked Tommy up to sit on his lap, and we were a family.

Doctor Angus continued. "There's more than twice the number of white blood cells than we checked last time. We're afraid the rate of growth will only increase as time goes on. And I know you are aware of what happens when leukemia cells overpower the number of regular blood cells." I know; my parents know: Low levels of normal blood cells make it harder for the body to give tissues oxygen or fight infections.

"Back to acute leukemia," Mom concluded.

"Back to acute leukemia," Angus repeated, justifying. "We'd like to keep him another week," he said. "Just to make sure he's okay—like last time."

Mom nodded together with Dad. "Okay," she said in a shaky, small voice. She turned to me when Doctor Angus left the room. "Hun, we're going to get going, it's late." Mom gave me a mom-kiss on the cheek while hugging me.

I asked, "What's the date?" when I realized I've probably been out awhile.

Dad smiled at me. "The eighteenth of December."

I did quick mental math in my head. "Four weeks?" I asked incredulously.

"Yes, but we brought extra clothes for you." Mom handed me a plastic bag.

Quick goodbyes, and they were gone.