two

maeve stood in front of the door, contemplating whether to knock or run away. rain pelted the ground behind her. she took a deep breath and reached her fist up to the wood.

before she could knock, the door swung opened, revealing the tall, dark-haired man she'd met yesterday.

"maid." he smirked.

"maeve," she corrected, eyeing him carefully to see his reaction. "good morning, miles."

he seemed amused. "i like that. the attitude, i mean." he stepped aside and waved her in. "ma'lady."

she straightened her posture, entered, and stood in front of him.

"well," he began, "you're more than welcome to cook me scrambled eggs."

she furrowed her brows and stared at him. "im really not much of a cook.. i clean." she hesitated.

"my mother hired you to do both this week. come with me."

okay, then.

when they entered the kitchen, she admired the stainless steel appliances, marble counter tops, and large sliding glass doors. it was a beautiful, classy home.

miles plopped down at the island and held his head up in his hands in a taunting manor. "i took the initiative to put a pan out of for you, sweets."

sweets?

maeve did her best to ignore the teasing and do what she was asked of. thankfully, scrambled eggs were a cheap staple that she cooked often anyway.

maybe not with organic farm fresh brown eggs, peppers, ham, and freshly grated cheese... but they were eggs all the same.

"do you not like me, maevey?" miles interrupted with a teasing and flirty tone.

she took a breath in and looked up at him as she sliced bell peppers. "i find you a little bit rude. do you always torment the people your mother hire?"

"only the pretty ones."

she felt a light shade of red splotch her cheeks. "is there any particular reason you need a babysitter while your mother is gone? aren't you old enough to live on your own?" she asked, returning the snarkiness.

he looked her up in down. "what can i say? she spoils me."

"clearly," maeve muttered under her breath.

"what was that?"

"hm? oh, nothing. i was just saying how nice these peppers are."

there was a silence between the two for several minutes as she cooked before miles cleared his throat and began to speak.

"im not really some spoiled lazy asshole."

maeve peered up at him and noticed the sincerity on his face.

well, you had me fooled.

"she has ovarian cancer," he continued. maeve paused and gave him her full attention. "i was living in los angeles until i found out. i moved back to be with her." he sighed deeply. "she's refusing treatment. she's also refusing to stop working."

"i'm so sorry," she apologized. "i shouldn't have said anything."

"no, its okay. i was teasing you anyway."

maeve nodded at him as she slid him his food on a porcelain plate. "it's kind of you to stay with her. how's she doing? i had no idea she had any health issues.."

"right," he started. "she looks perfectly healthy on the outside. but she's struggling. i know she is."

maeve sat on the barstool beside him. she could sense his emotion. normally, she wouldn't dare sit in front of her employer, let alone talk to them so casually. he seemed like he needed it, though. he was desperate to word vomit his feelings to anyone.

"if you don't mind me asking.. why is she refusing treatment? they've developed treatments in recent years that could absolutely help her." maeve asked curiously.

miles shrugged. "she told me she wants to be with my father. according to her, if god is ready for me, thats okay. im ready to be with your dad."

dead father, dying mother..

she felt guilty for ever being so judgemental. that kind of trauma warrants an attitude. 

"he was in a car accident when i was small. drunk driving. i never really knew him. mom says he was an amazing man, but its hard to sympathize with a man who killed himself and two other innocent people."

she gulped, taking in his words.

he looked at her and put his hands to his face, embarrassed. "ive humiliated myself enough, sweets. its your turn. whats your story? why are you a maid?"

she rolled her eyes. "im not a maid."

"go on."

she crossed her legs and thought for a moment. "im from oklahoma. my parents are extremely catholic. i didn't really have any friends. any boyfriends. anyone. i wasnt allowed to go anywhere. i was homeschooled by my mom. i left the moment i turned 18. they were trying to force me to join the church and give my life to be a nun."

"a nun?"

she nodded and let out an exasperated sigh. "i want to write. so i moved here hoping to make something of myself."

"what do you like to write?"

"stories. i spend most of my free time doing that."

"why are you cleaning then?"

she looked at him, confused. "writing doesnt pay the bills. at least not yet."

"i see," he muttered before perking up and smirking at her. "no boyfriend, huh?"

she scoffed at him and looked away to hide her soft blush. "don't tease me. it's already embarrassing enough being an adult with that secret."

"still?" he questioned, seeming suprised. "you still haven't had one?"

she shook her head and looked down shyly.

"why?" he added. 

maeve shrugged. "its not that i haven't had the opportunity. i just can't bring myself to let it go anywhere. i have no experience. i've got no idea what im doing. no one wants a girl who doesn't know what she's doing in bed."

"i could take care of the experience aspect if you'd like, sweets." he gushed. she rolled her eyes again.

"real funny. you're quite the flirt."

"i'm not really joking," he insisted. "ive had my fair share of experience. i can show you the ropes. unless you're scared."

she froze and tried to read his face. he seemed rather serious.

"i should really get to cleaning," she relented, standing up and walking backward awkwardly. he smiled at her, and she pretended not to notice how handsome he looked.

"i'm serious, doll. just say the words," he shouted, and she scurried down the hall.

a small vibration prompted her to check her phone.

ruby: Listen, girl,i know you don't like to go out, but i have a hot date tonight. and he has a friend. i can pick you up from the estate you're staying at. I'll have you home by midnight. pretty pretty please! <3

maeve reread the message several times before taking a deep breath and replying.

maeve: fine, ill see you later

----

next chapter will be a juicy one! be advised!!!!<3<3
-e