Epilogue

Who has the right to decide if we are deserving of happiness?

He'd lived for centuries, enduring loneliness, loss, suffering, and despair. Only one person changed that all. One human sunshine made his life bright.

He'd wanted to change this world, make it better for his people, and with her, he did that. Giving her love, she gave him all he had ever wanted.

People called him the Starless Saint, but he had stars in his darkness, the ones she had brought to his life.

Sometimes he thought, what would happen if she turned her back on him, what would he do if she left him, choosing to fight him instead?

But at that moment, he was the happiest man alive, looking at his family from the terrace of the Grand Palace. His children were playing in the garden. Their grandmother showed them figures of shadows, making them laugh. The older one summoned light making shadows curl around.

Aleksander could remember the morning they found out that Alina was pregnant. He had always woken up earlier than she, but that morning he woke up from strange sounds from the bathroom. He found her on the bathroom floor. She was so pale. Grisha doesn't get sick. He was scared to death that she could be poisoned with jurda parem. But then the healer came to check on her and said about her pregnancy. He could remember how she smiled weakly, tears of happiness on her cheeks. And his tears, when he put his hand on her belly. From that moment, he became a father.

He brought all the best healers and heartrenders when she was in labour. He had forgotten how to pray years ago, but he prayed when he was standing near her bed.

He loved his children so much. The elder son, who was a copy of himself, and the twins: boy and girl, who inherited some Shu features of their mother. All of them got his amplifying abilities. The younger boy could summon light, and the girl - shadows, but the elder could summon shadows and light equally. The powers of the elder one made them worried for him. But he was heir to the throne, and his power made him a perfect future king.

«How fast they are growing up.» Her voice disturbed his thoughts. He turned his head, glancing at her. She was beautiful as always, wearing an ivory silk gown, not a black kefta for Sunday. This was their family day. She handed him a cup of tea.

«Thank you. We can make more babies when these will grow up,» he said, taking the cup from her hands.

She chuckled.

«What a surprise to hear this from you, once you told me that you didn't want children,» she said and took a sip of her tea.

«After three I decided it can be more,» he winked.

«Oh, this is what you did last night? Trying to make more?»

He laughed.

«No, I just wanted to bring pleasure to my beloved wife.»

Alina stood up to her tiptoes and whispered in his ear. «And you brought.» She kissed his cheek. Then they both looked at their children again. He hugged her shoulders with one hand.

This was his peace, every moment he spent with his family, the laugh of their children, the touch of her hands, the nagging of his mother. And he could gladly give up his life for all of them.

Who has the right to decide if we are deserving of happiness? It is only up to us to decide.

She decided to love him, instead of making him her villain. The only one decision changed everything. They made the world a better place, by choosing love. Their love had never been a weakness for them, it was their greatest power.

P.S. I have several variations of the epilogue, which I have written during last year. But this one I wrote after I had watched the second season. I had so much hope for Darklina in the series. They deserve to be loved by each other.