BOOK TWO || CHAPTER FIVE

I've never had a single word bounce around my head for so long.

Runner.

I shake my head, waiting for her to say that it was just a joke, that I'll never succeed as a Runner, that she wants me to be a Hunter with Kara again. 

But none of those words leave her mouth.

Instead, she just stares at me, head slightly tilted as she waits for my response. She gets impatient and folds the piece of paper in her hand—once, twice—until it fits in her palm.

I feel Adam shift uncomfortably in his seat, purposefully nudging me in the side to get my attention, to help snap my head back into the present. 

I blink and the words that left her mouth are still real. 

I clear my throat, sitting upright, giving her a nonchalant shrug of my shoulders as I slowly lean back against the edge of the table. "Very well then," I say. "When do I start?"

Johanna shoots me a fake grin, tucking her dirty blonde hair behind her ear. "Tomorrow. After you have had a good night's sleep."

I nod, wanting her to leave so I can finish my food. "Okay." I slowly start to turn around, back to my bowl. "Thank you, Johanna."

"You are welcome." Then she gets up to leave, her footsteps echoing around the Mess Hall. I release a breath, letting my lungs deflate as I wait for the double doors to close behind her.

"What the hell just happened?" I keep curling my hands into fists, digging my nails into the palms of my hands. No matter how hard I squeeze, I can't seem to wake up from this dream I'm sure I'm still in.

"What did you say?" Adam swirls around in his seat to look at me, but I can't tear my eyes away from my hands. "Xander?"

I snap my head to him. "Did you hear what she said?" I ask quickly, moving to face Joel.

"Yes, we did—"

"She said I could be a Runner, right?" I blink twice at my hands and I'm still here. I'm still in the Mess Hall. The word Runner definitely left her mouth. 

"Yes, Xander!" Adam bursts. "She did. We heard it." He closes his eyes, breathes deeply through his nose. "She did say that. You are a Runner now."

"I guess congratulations are in order." Joel nudges me, getting my attention. "I'm sure it's a better job than what Adam and I have."

"Speak for yourself, Joel," Adam says, leaning forward, eyebrows furrowed tightly. "I really like—maybe even love—my job."

"You love being with Tessa, don't even deny it," I pipe up, laughing silently to myself when Adam can't find his next words. "You love working right next to her twenty-four seven."

"Well—uh—I . . . I d-d—n—"

I mimic Adam's stuttering words, causing him to glare at me. "Adam, you love her." I punch him lightly in the shoulder. "Just admit it." I look back at Joel, seeing him smiling. "It's only us. We won't judge."

Adam looks down at the floor, biting his lower lip hard. "Okay!" He looks up at us, eyes suddenly brighter. "I admit it—I do, okay?" He shakes his head, looking down again. "But she doesn't feel the same way."

I slowly look back at Joel, trying to get him to interfere in the conversation, to help with what to say to him. 

He turns around to look at me when he sees me silently pleading with my eyes. "What?" he says quietly. "You're the one with the girlfriend, you talk to him." He leans back in his seat, crossing his arms over his chest.