BOOK ONE || CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

When Kara re-emerges, she blocks the view of Vicky, and somehow—somehow, I'm almost grateful. I hate myself for saying it, but I don't really want to look at Vicky at the moment. It will just bring back too many emotions that I don't want to deal with right now.

"I didn't realize you could hold your breath for so long," I say, trying to distract myself, and to change the subject. It was the only thing I could think of to say.

"Well," Kara says, brushing some hair out of her eyes, "when you've been doing it for the majority of your life, then you kind of get used to it."

I nod along, even though I can't say I know what she means—until now, I've never been underwater. I've just tried to imagine what it is like. I've only ever read about what it is like.

The water ripples around us, and I look down, staring at the sand and my feet as they get covered with the small particles. It's weird how sand isn't irritating when you are in water; it just feels like it's washing away with every step you take. I guess it kind of is, though.

When I look up again, I notice Kara staring at me, and she doesn't even look away. She's very close to me, probably about a foot away. The water reflecting in her hazel-green eyes somehow makes her look more beautiful.

She smiles at me, so kindly, so genuinely, that I can't help but smile back at her.

"Hey, guys!"

My heart pounds against my chest as I step back, my head snapping toward the source of the voice.

Thomas swims into view, his whole body floating on the surface. He's looking up at the sky, making the sun blind his eyes. I can't help but notice something on his torso. A scar runs from his side to the center of his stomach. It isn't red, so it must not be recent. He doesn't seem to care at all if people see it, so I don't know why I do.

Maybe it's because it's my fault that I have this scar, and it's not Thomas's fault that he has his.

I'm starting to regret coming in here. I feel like every single Waster is suddenly staring at me, secretly talking about my scar and knowing that it was all my fault. I sometimes really hate my thoughts.

"—may be the best day of my life!"

I tuned in at the wrong time. I have no idea what Thomas was saying, but I doubt he directed it at me. There is no awkward silence following his statement, so I turn to look at Kara.

"I know," Kara says, moving her hands across the water. "It's the only day where we can actually relax."

I take a peek over Kara's head, slowly noticing something that makes my heart drop to the bottom of the water.

Kyle, Adam, Tessa and Vicky are swimming over to us, and I've never wanted to scramble out of the water fast enough. I've never wanted to push myself away from my friends who haven't done anything to me. I just want to go.

But I stay put.

"So," Kyle starts, startling Kara and Thomas, "whose idea was it to have this day off?"

"We're not really sure." Kara turns to face the others. "We think it was Johanna, but we have been doing it for a long time."

Kyle doesn't seem that bothered, any more, so he doesn't continue with the conversation. He just gives a slight nod of his head and turns to look at something else.

My eyes meet Vicky's and I can't seem to look away. You know that type of feeling—like a force—when you look at something, and you can't seem to look away? That's how I feel. I can't look away from Vicky. My head won't turn away to look at something else.