𝕱𝖔𝖗𝖙𝖞 𝕾𝖎𝖝

A/N: I had a free hour and decided to write. Then decided to post it because I missed a couple weeks.
Also remember this is a dark romance and this chapter has some some dark elements to it.

*****
• 𝓜𝓪𝓮 •

I glanced over my shoulder at Noah, Luca, and Kite sitting at one of the tables in the empty dining room. Honestly, I wasn't really sure why they had a dining room in the castle. While I understood the vampires sometimes ate actual food, it was always empty.

A tall woman came out and looked down at me through dark eyes. I damn near had to break my neck to look up at her. She had skin so smooth and so dark that she looked airbrushed, with long, thin dreads decorated with jewels pulled back into a loose ponytail.

"How can I help you, love?" She smiled slightly.

"I told them I could order for myself." I motioned behind me to the only occupied table. "But I don't even know what's available to be ordered."

"I can make anything you want," she said. "I used to own a restaurant before the takeover, and did a lot of the cooking there."

I hummed. "Can you make strawberry crepes? Without any of the super sweet cream inside?"

She tilted her head, looking at the ceiling like she was trying to go through her mental recipe list for a crepe without the cream. "Sure. Can I try something with it, though?"

"Sure." I shrugged. "You're the chef here. All I can make is boiling water."

She snorted and turned to go back into the kitchen, waving for me to go sit down.

When I turned to go back to the table, Seraph's voice filtered into my head.

'If it wasn't just a dream, I apologize. But as I said, I'm curious.'

I froze as the door to the diner opened. A man stepped through, his face turned to look back at Seraph, saying something about how he'd never visited the castle's diner. How he always wanted to try the food from the five star chef inside. And his voice was familiar. Deeper. Older. But familiar.

My stomach churned, my blood turning to ice.

"Shh, Maeve," Owen cooed, covering my mouth to stifle my cries so that my newest foster family wouldn't hear.

My vision started going blurry as the man turned and finally caught sight of me. He stilled, his dark eyes widening in recognition. Those evil fucking dark eyes. I remembered the way they watched me as he hurt me. As he kindly whispered "Maeve" over and over again in some terrible attempt to soothe me.

He's the reason I hated my name.

I had begged to leave that home. Begged. Until I damn near burned their house down in an attempt to escape.

"Maeve," he said, and I clenched my teeth, forcing my body upright even though suddenly the world felt as though it was spinning ten times faster.

Why was he in South District? How hadn't I seen him up until this point?

He stepped towards me, and I took a step back. He was still far away from me, but if he got any closer, I'd throw up.

'Mae,' Seraph's voice pulled my attention away from Owen for only a second. 'Will you let me take care of it?'

What was he asking? I couldn't...

My eyes found Owen again and somehow he'd gotten closer to me, a wide smile across his face.

"What is going on," Kite demanded, his voice like an echo.

They were standing. When did that happen?

How did Owen get closer?

My back hit the counter that I'd just ordered at. I didn't remember trying to back away other than that first step. But I didn't want him near me. I didn't want him touching me. He couldn't touch me. Not again.

Nausea rolled in my stomach.

'Let me take care of it for you,' Seraph's voice again. 'Let me kill your monsters for you, Mae.'

I looked past Owen's shoulder to Seraph, tears springing to my eyes at the knowledge that he was the only one in this world who knew what had happened with this man and me.

Kite grabbed Owen's wrist to stop him from coming any closer. Even without knowing what had happened, he could tell I didn't want him near me. He was already too close. I could smell him now. He smelled different. It didn't make him any different though. Those eyes...

I pushed back further into the counter, my eyes finding Seraph again.

He waited by the door, watching me. Waiting for my answer.

I felt a tear slip from my left eye unbidden, and I nodded slowly. Just once. Barely even a movement, really.

Seraph tilted his head and Kite stiffened, eyeing him. I hoped he wasn't telling him what Owen was. What he'd done. What I could tell he would do again, if given the chance.

I saw Noah then, stepping up behind Owen with Luca at his side. And even though they couldn't know what had happened, my reaction to him was enough. They knew something happened between Owen and I, and it hadn't been good.

If I didn't react this way to Zero...what could this man have done? I could see the question on their faces. I knew at least Noah wouldn't push for answers. The other two, I wasn't sure.

"I think we should go, Owen." Seraph's voice broke through the silence. "Maybe another time."

No. Not another time. I couldn't risk it. The things that Zero had done to me up until that point was nothing compared to what this man had done. This man had gone through with his threats. With his promises. Every little thing he said he would do, he did. He made sure I knew that. Zero hurt others, and while that was horrifying in and of itself, Owen hurt me. Ruined me. Physically. Emotionally. Brutally.

'Mae, look at me.' Seraph's voice in my head snapped me out of my panic and I stared at him, waiting. Barely breathing. 'You'll never see him again.'

'Please,' I thought back, not even sure he could hear it.

His eyes widened a fraction before he schooled his features. "Owen, I won't say it again. You can catch up with Maeve some other time."

Owen huffed out a laugh. "I'll be seeing you, Maeve. I promise."

Panic clawed at my chest. His promises. He never broke his prom-

'He will not be seeing you again. He will not be seeing anything ever again.'

I was shaking, my entire body cold, rivaling the nausea pooling hot in my stomach.

Seraph allowed Owen to pass him, exiting the dining room. Seraph gave me one last look, then allowed the doors to fall shut behind him as he left.

"He's going to kill him." Kite turned to me. "Isn't he?"

I didn't speak. If I did, I would throw up.

But fuck. I really hoped he did.

*****
A/N: for those confused - remember she had a dream about her past and Seraph said he was going to find out whether it was a dream or memories? Owen was the one she was having nightmares about.