6- Alone

I sat on the couch staring out the balcony window. Police sirens echoed through the streets around me. Standing up I slowly made my way over and opened the doors walking out. I crossed my arms and looked out at the city landscape. My mind wandered to Peter. What was he doing right now? Has he found anything out? How long do I stay here? I could feel my anxiety rise as all these questions filled my mind. I shook my hand as my breathing increased. I pulled out the burner phone the FBI gave me and punched in the number I hoped was the night action line. Holding the phone up to my ear I listened anxiously to the ringing.

"Yeah, go ahe-," Peter's voice started saying.

"Peter?" I asked tilting my head down.

"Ha-Haley?" He asked confused. I sighed in relief and took a deep breath.

"Yeah, i'm sorry I just, I'm all alone and I don't know I just," I said trailing off.

"You remembered this number?" Peter asked. I laughed softly.

"Yeah, it's a skill," I said smiling. Silence hovered over the call

"Peter?" I asked looking out at the city lights.

"Yeah, what's up?" He replied quietly.

"What happens to me now?" I asked. Silence hovered over the phone as Peter took a breath.

"I'm not sure, Haley, I wish I knew," he answered. I pursed my lips and leaned back against a wall. Great. I sighed and rubbed my forehead.

"You're going to be okay," Peter's voice said reassuringly.

"You think so?" I asked unsure.

" I know you will," He replied firmly. A soft smile spread across my face.

"So was the FBI always in the cards?" I asked pulling my tank top over my wet hair.

"I wanted to play basketball," Peter said chuckling softly. I furrowed my eyebrows as a soft laugh escaped my lips.

"Really?" I said dragging out the y. I flipped off the lights in the bathroom and crawled into the bed.

"That was the dream," He added.

"What happened? I mean FBI is a bit of a career change," I said laughing softly.

"I sucked in college," He replied. I fiddled with a string on the edge of my sheet.

"Interesting," I said smiling.

"What about you? What happened to your dream?" Peter asked. I stared up at the ceiling.

"My parents died, that's what happened," I said with an awkward laugh.

"I'm sorry," Peter said sympathetically.

"It's okay. Shit happens. I mean I was doing great, on track for law school, I had a boyfriend, a best friend. Everything, I mean everything came crashing down. My boyfriend dumped me and my best friend, found what she felt like were happier friends. You know my parents dying was just such a drag for her," I said scoffing.

"I kind of lost it, I was drunk every night, partying, skipping class, spending all my money, they were valid for leaving," I said tucking my hair behind my ear.

"That's not a valid reason to leave, Haley if they truly cared about you they would have stuck with you and helped you, you don't leave when things get hard," Peter responded. My eyes watered as I listened to him. I hadn't heard something that nice in a while. I sniffled as a tear ran down the side of my cheek.

"Haley?" Peter's voice asked.

"Yeah, yeah, sorry that's just, that's the best thing i've heard in a while," I said wiping the tears under my eye.

"I'm just, i'm so alone Peter, I don't know what to do now, I have no where to go," I said quietly. Silence hovered.

"You're going to be okay, you're strong, and smart, and independent, you're going to do great," Peter said. My lips curled into a smile.

"Thanks," I said gently.

"Of course," He responded.

"Can you have breakfast with me tomorrow, please?" I asked.

"Yeah, yeah, sure," Peter responded.

"We have to do room service, cause I'm being held hostage remember," I said laughing awkwardly. Hearing Peter's laugh made me smile. I felt somewhat normal for a second.

"Okay, well I'll let you actually do work now," I said smiling.

"Goodnight Haley," Peter said quietly.

"Goodnight Peter"