The Storm: Chapter Ten

My first instinct was to go back to the area where I last saw them. It made the most sense in my head.

I counted the steps back to the path we had diverged from and turned to go right when I noticed a patch of darkness in the sand. As far as I knew, the last rainfall that the Scorch experienced was that terrible thunderstorm a few nights ago. There had been no rain since. Whatever it was, it wasn't water.

I scanned the area, footprints holding my gaze the longest. Hidden partially by the dead bush, the elements hadn't destroyed them. The footprints must have been fresh-ish. However it would be described. The mountains seemed to be the destination of the group.

Here came the dilemma.

Do I risk everything and follow this path, or take the route originally intended.

Don't go back. Go forward.

What if I chose wrong?

You won't, you already know the way.

"Okay, to the mountain it is."

By the time I physically stopped to rest, the sun had risen far higher in the sky. Middy had yet to reach me, but time was a cruel mistress. Eventually, midday would come and go, and I would still be shuffling along the landscape trying to desperately to catch up. Hoping that it wasn't too late. With every step, the thought dawned on me that maybe I had made a mistake. I was so far from the original track that I following the wrong people seemed more likely.

Maybe...

I rested my head against a rock, doing my best to stay within the small shade that it offered. The pained hadn't done anything to help the situation. The cough had worsened, zapping away my breaths as soon as they were made. The hot air didn't help either. I was stuck in a breathless cycle of pain and phlegm. Knowing that this would be a struggle, I attempted to eat, drink and cough all the at the same time. I task that I struggled to achieve successfully.

I wiped the sweat from my forehead and hauled the pack back onto my shoulders. I left the cannister of water out this time. It was the smarter decision to avoid dying from dehydration. Worse, I still felt rubbish. When yesterday's pains were fresh and sharp, today's were loud and aching. Added in with lack of sleep, I was a literal zombie slogging along. Crank even, if you want to get technical. Though, I doubt Cranks felt this way. From what I've seen, and that being very little, the pain fuelled their body. Those back at the room were so consumed by it that they couldn't function beyond it. I, however, was a tired person in need of aid. Not a Crank. Yet.

There wasn't much that I could distract myself with from the pain. I attempted to count the number of trees I passed, but that ended in failure. One, I could see ahead and saw how few there were – that ruined the game. And two, the argument with Newt kept creeping back to the foreground.

He, like me, had been put in an impossible situation. I, with all my heart, agreed with everything he said. If the roles were reversed, I would have said the same thing. I would have put my foot down and refused him to leave. I would not let him go again. However, there are always difficult decisions to be made. Ones that do not sit comfortably with everyone. Ones that always have to be made. I just hoped he understood where I came from.

The determination to be there at the end fuelled my every steps. I would not let him down. I would survive the final part of this journey and reunite with him. I vowed that.

Midday came and went. I carried on from the place, not wanting to linger any longer than I intended too. As I walked, I assessed the next part of my journey. Above me, rose the peak of the mountain.

When I first laid eyes on the mountains days ago, they had seemed distant and barren. At first glance, I believed that this place only served death. Now standing here looking up at the final part of it made me realise that there was more to it. I just had to beyond the first glance. Lucky so I did as in the distance three shadows shimmered caught my eye. I shook my head and blinked a few times then stared at the same spot. Again, I located the shadows. Then they disappeared, consumed by a dark entrance located between two cliff edges.