The Labyrinth: Chapter Nineteen

I was stunned. How on earth did I miss such an important event?

The whole fate of the Glade changed. No sun, no supplies, no protecting from the Grievers. The girl in Thomas's head had been right – everything had truly changed. I felt the air in my throat solidified, lodged within in.

"Oh, this seems real bad," Aris added, a smirk on his face. "I'm glad I'm in here and not out there."

Alby marched up to the door of the Slammer, attempting to grab Aris's by the cuff of his shirt through the small window. He growled in frustration when Aris backed up, his laughter echoing from his concrete prison.

"Gotta be quicker next time, hotshot," Aris mocked, only his voice clarifying that he was there.

"You find this all a joke, do ya?" Alby hissed, his voice barely audible. "Well, answer the question."

Aris paused for a moment, then his face reappeared at the window, not close enough for Alby to grab him. "I find this place intriguing. A large area surrounded by these walls. But, it seems, the highlight of this place is that girl over there."

Alby turned his back to Aris and faced me, a scowl very much on his face. I think I may have been caught. I tried to back away from the Slammer into the treeline, but the rouse was already up. Thomas slowly edged his way in between the path of Alby's and I, his nature still unpredictable from the Grief Serum effects.

"Why are you always around?" Alby barked at me. "Go back to the Homestead and help with somethin'."

I shrunk back into the treeline. Alby was a hot-head, but now he really was erratic. That tone I had never heard before, not even when I refused to talk to him the very first time I had met him. I screwed my face up and did my best to bite back my tongue. I really didn't want to be on the end of another fight when I just about got through the last one.

"That's an angry face," Aris cooed from the Slammer door. "Shame it's all that we get to see."

Alby bashed the door of the Slammer, making me jump. Aris only laughed, it echoing through the space. "This is entertaining. A leader with too much emotion. Now isn't that a perfect storm."

Aris smiled. Irritating Alby further.

"I don't have time for your shuckin' riddles," Alby yelled. "This problem is all upon your heads. I blame all three of you. Everythin' goes wrong round here when you lot started to show up."

"You can't blame us," Thomas stated. "We didn't have anything to do with the closing walls."

"Did you go deaf over the past few minutes? He admitted to it," Alby accused, spit flying from his mouth.

"That's still not our fault." Thomas pointed to him and me. "Clarke and I had nothin' to do with this."

"Just be glad that your arses aren't in there with him," Alby retorted. He gave us one long hard stare before he storming past the both of us into the Glade. I heard in the distance shouts from the Leader as he walked back through the Glade, accompanied by the laughter's inside the Slammer. Aris was right. This was a perfect storm.

"We better go," I whispered to Thomas, indicating with my arm to follow me. He nodded and followed me round the corner of the Homestead away from the nightmare in a box into another one. The Glade was in complete chaos, there had been no discernible change in the light since the sun and blue sky hadn't appeared that morning, it still felt like a darkness spread over the Glade. We approached a bench, sat down and watched Alby and Newt gather Keepers to put them in charge of making assignments and getting their groups inside the Homestead within the hour.