The Storm: Chapter Fourteen

Nothing stood out about the building I found myself in. A long hallway, a tiled floor, beige walls with framed pictures of nature – waves crashing on a beach, an iridescent bird hovering beside a red flower, rain and mist covering a forest floor. Fluorescent lights buzzed overhead. Dr. Adlai led me through several twists and turns right into the belly of the building. Possibly to confuse me so that I didn't escape.

Maybe I should have asked him to save me like the Diana-girl he was desperate to save. Maybe he took pity on me when he was helping me recover.

"Why was I kept from the others?" I queried after the nth turn we made.

"Vat do vu mean kebt from?" the doctor repeated back, not bothering to stop the journey.

"Why wasn't anyone allowed to see me?"

"Vu vere fery ill Clarke. Your immune zysdem vas combromized vith bneumonia. Ve had to make zure nein furzer pacderia or firus vould infect vu vilst vu recoffered. Vu Hundersdand zat mein kleiner Jäger."

I nod to show an agreement. I knew there was something not quite right with his response, but there was no point trying to get it out of the doctor. It's not like he would spill all the secrets of the place so freely. Afterall, he did work for WICKED.

"Why do you call me 'mein kleiner Jäger'?" I blurted out before my brain could even stop me.

The doctor paused in his stride, his stance staying straight ahead for a moment. Then, he slowly turned on his heel and stood to face me. His face a picture of disgust, as if the very thought of me daring to ask him such a question written across it. "Zat is non-"

"I know it means 'my little huntress'," I cut in before he could finish. "But why do you call me that. I don't know you."

"Vu know vat it means?" the doctor said, his eyes widening in surprise. "You were able to understand what I was saying?"

"That's why I asked you why you kept calling me that?" I replied back. "Wait, do you mean I was able to understand. Why wouldn't I be able to understand?"

Dr. Adlai stroked his chin, his face screwing into a thought. "This is highly interesting. Quite a rapid development if you ask me."

"Sir, I'm not sure what you are saying."

"You do realise that you are speaking German?"

"German? What is German?"

"It is another language spoking by those that live in Germany. I am surprised you were able to retain such ability after the swipes."

"So, you're telling me I can speak more than one language."

"I don't have too. You already are."

"Does everyone round here speak German?"

"No," the doctor glanced to the side. "Come with me."

He took a hold of my arm and half-dragged me behind him. We travelled down a corridor until he stopped at a door. He swung the door open and ushered me inside, closing the door quickly behind him. The lights flickered on as soon as we entered revealing a large room lined with metal cabinets and shower cubicles. The doctor firmly placed his hands on my shoulders and leaned in close, his stale breath tickling my nose.

"Listen to me," he spoke in a lower voice. "Were you awake before I entered the room?"

I refrained from looking at him in the eye. I twisted my shoulders, trying in vain to wriggle free from him. He only tightened his grip.