Chapter 59

Devale drove straight to Crystal's place but upon arrival he noticed that her car was not in the driveway. He contemplated going in the house but he couldn't bring himself to tell Mr Jeff that he had already disappointed him in less than 24 hours since their talk.

He pulled out his phone to track her location but the pinpoint wasn't popping up (because she put it on airplane mode). He banged his hands against the steering wheel in frustration and then he started the car and began the drive home (home meaning where he grew up not his house).

It was a slightly long drive and he was feeling a mixture of emotions but the most prominent one was definitely anger, he was angry at himself for acting so stupid! While still on the road, the music he was listening to got interrupted by a phonecall notification- he thought it was Crystal so he didn't even hesitate to answer...

_Phonecall_

Devale: (exhales) baby where ar-

Jeff: uhm Devale?

Devale: (whispers) shit!!! H-hey Mr Jeff, what's up?

Jeff: Crystal left the house hours ago and she's not answering any of my texts or calls. She was in a very bad state when she left so I just wanted to make sure that she's safe with you before I go to sleep?

Devale paused as he thought about being honest with Mr Jeff but since he didn't want to disappoint him so soon he decided to lie.

Devale: yeah uhm... she's with me right now, she's sleeping so I guess that explains why she didn't hear the phone ring

Jeff: (sighs in relief) okay thank you, you two have a good night son, by-

Devale: hey Mr Jeff, uhm... you said she was in a "bad state" what did you mean by that?

Jeff: she didn't tell you?

Devale: (hesitant) no, she just came in and went right to bed

Jeff: oh God my poor baby is broken... please tell her I'll come by to see her tomorrow before we leave

Devale: okay I will, so the bad state? What happened?

Jeff: her and Gladys had a very heated argument and some hurtful truths were revealed. It's a long story and I would rather have Crissy be the one to tell you. I will however say; she left the house with feelings of being unwanted and unloved. (sighs) please do me favor Ellis

Devale: (holding back tears) sure, anything

Jeff: please make sure you give my babygirl the biggest hug, let her know that she is loved! Oh and another thing, please prove her mother wrong! All that shit she said about yall won't last... I need you to make sure that doesn't happen! Remember I said I trust you with my babygirl Ellis, so please don't let me down.

Devale: (tears falling) I p-promise I won't, you have my word

Jeff: are you coming down with a cold? Your voice sounds a little off

Devale: oh... its uhm probably just allergies, good night Mr Jeff- we'll talk tomorrow *hangs up*

Devale finally pulled up to the driveway of his parents house, he got himself together before knocking.

|Ellis home|

Knock knock knock

Eddie: who is it?

Devale: it's me dad

Eddie: what the hell?! Devale what are you doing here this late?

Devale: I just needed someone to talk to