Chapter 1 - The Cup of Coffee That Changed it All

A/N: I normally make myself wait to post stories till I know how they are going to end, or have completed them. But I just really wanted to start getting this one out there. Hope you enjoy it!

-----*****-----*****-----

Steve Rogers came back. There had been a moment when Bucky thought he might not. There had been a moment when even Steve thought he might not. And if it hadn't been for one fateful moment in a coffee shop he might not have.

He would never forget that day. It was years after the snap, everyone was weary, and little did he know that very soon he and the remaining Avengers were finally close to finding a solution to the Thanos problem.

Steve had a Group Therapy meeting that afternoon, and had decided to stop by a local coffee shop on the way that he'd never been in. Things were so hard for the communities since the snap and perhaps just a little more support to the local community might help himself and some of those left. He kept his head down as he walked in and approached the counter, but looked up to check out the menu when he got there and decided to keep his order simple. Once it was his turn then he looked to the barista.

But he was totally taken aback and speechless when he saw her. He couldn't explain it but he was awestruck by her. Her blue eyes and long wavy brown hair, and the gentle smile she gave him. And apparently, he was staring because a blush came across her cheeks and she repeated herself. "Sir?... Can I get you something?"

"Oh, I-I'm sorry. Um, can I—can I get a caramel latte?"

She smiled and nodded as she started to punch the order in on the screen in front of her. "Size?"

Meanwhile Steve had gotten caught up in watching her again and shook himself, thankfully having caught the question. "Oh, um... Large."

Her cheeks tinted pink. She had noticed him watching her. Her eyes seemed to twinkle as she continued. "Whip cream?'

He grinned. "Seems like it'd be a shame not to get whip cream."

She nodded and her smile grew even wider. "I wholeheartedly agree. Would you like caramel drizzle on top?"

He nodded. "Another crime to miss out on."

She grinned, biting the corner of her bottom lip as she restrained a chuckle. "And... a... name... for the order?"

He sensed that her question gave her the slightest bit of... guilt maybe? Did she really not know who he was? Or was she giving him the chance at anonymity? "Uh... Steve."

She smiled wider as she wrote his name on the cup. "Steve. Very good."

He glanced at her nametag. "Thank you, Ceci. I... I hope you have a wonderful day. Maybe I'll see you in here again soon." He definitely planned on coming back to this coffee shop.

"Give me just a moment and I'll have your–" She looked to the screen to read off the order like she did for every order. "--Large Caramel Latte with whip cream and caramel drizzle ready. Lydia will ring you up at the end of the counter." After giving her normal spiel, she then gave him a second shy glance as she began working on the drink. "And... I hope you'll see me here again soon, too..."

Steve took a deep breath and considered the woman in front of him before taking a leap into the unknown world of flirting. It had been too many years since he'd even attempted this. "I'm feeling pretty crazy today, Ceci. Would you mind adding two of those blueberry scones to my order? And, um, maybe if you happen to get a few minutes for a break, how'd you like join me at a table over there for one of those scones?"

The woman's eyes went wide, her blush going even darker pink. She smiled wide and he wondered if she could get any more beautiful. "I'm due for a break, and I think I'd like that very much."