Chapter 4

Steve: Sorry to text so late, but I just had to tell you... I had a great time tonight. And thank you for offering your place for our time together. Sorry I was so unprepared. I promise next time I'll plan a real date... if a next time is something you're interested in :-)

Ceci: I had a great time too. And I'm so glad you texted so I know you made it home safely. I was a little worried about you turning into a Capsicle on the drive home on the motorcycle in this cold.

Ceci: And yes, that is something I'm very interested in. I would have thought that obvious by the end of our evening last night.

Steve: I didn't want to presume, but I'm so happy to hear that. And yeah–it was chilly. I guess I'll never escape that nickname (Capsicle). For now I need to get to sleep. Early morning.

Ceci: It's going to be even colder tomorrow! Please tell me you aren't driving the motorcycle upstate tomorrow.

Steve: Definitely not. .. Goodnight, Ceci.

Ceci: Goodnight, Steve. Sweet dreams.

Steve: If my dreams involve a certain brunette barista, I know they will be sweet.

Ceci: Okay, charmer. Get some sleep.

Steve: Sweet dreams, Ceci. :)

******

Over the course of the next few days Steve kept in touch with Ceci as best he could with all the excitement at the compound thanks to Scott Lang's return. It was after a disappointing meeting with Tony that he found himself back in the City, this time with Nat and Scott, meeting with Bruce at a cafe. As they neared the end of breakfast, he excused himself to make a phone call.

Ceci was sitting at a canvas, paintbrush in hand, when her phone rang. She glanced at the number and smiled before hitting the answer button and putting the call on speaker.

"Hello!"

"Hi, sweetheart! What are you up to?"

Even without him here, his words left her blushing. "Sweetheart, eh? Getting rather comfortable with me, aren't you?"

He smirked and chuckled. "I shared what might have been one of the best kisses of my life with you, Ceci. And I've been told another date is in the cards. So, yeah, I feel pretty comfortable with you."

She laughed. "Good point. I don't mind, really. Actually... I like it."

"Yeah, sweetheart?" He emphasized the nickname again for effect.

Her stomach fluttered. "Yeah. And, to answer your question, I'm just doing a bit of work."

""Work–like painting? Or making coffee?"

She laughed. "I don't call making coffee work. That's a hobby I do to help my friend and neighbor out."

He chuckled. "I love that what most people would call a job you call a hobby, and what most would call a hobby, you call a job."

"Says the man with the wildest job ever. Speaking of, how are things going?"

"I have a little bit of a surprise. We're back in the City for a few hours. Came to visit a friend and see about enlisting his help. I was wondering if you weren't too busy– could you meet me at Floyd's Cafe? We're just chatting over breakfast."

"Sure, that sounds great. That's just down the street. I can clean up and be there in fifteen.

*****

"Um, Steve?' Ceci said hesitantly to get his attention as she saw what she was pretty sure was the back of his head. If she hadn't been sure, then the large green man he was seated with hinted that this was his table.