Chapter 2 - You Gotta Move On

Ceci couldn't seem to help the smile plastered on her face the rest of the afternoon and evening. What was her life that Captain America's phone number was now safely saved in her phone? Her own accomplishments may have led her to meet many people, but she never would have anticipated this turn of events.

And Steve Rogers was just as charming as she could have ever imagined he would be. But she wondered, would he really call her? He'd said he wanted to see her again, which seemed utterly unbelievable, but he also didn't seem like the type of person to say something like that and not mean it–so maybe?

She made it to the end of the day, glancing at her watch to see the time and was about to make herself a cup of coffee before cleaning the machine when her phone rang.

She slipped it out of her back pocket and smiled wide when she saw the name.

Steve Rogers.

*****

Steve's group therapy meeting was just wrapping up and he watched the other participants leaving the room. He sat back down in the chair he'd been in and considered his own words. 

You gotta move on.

He sighed and slipped his phone out of his pocket, checking the time- 8:05pm. Ceci had said her shift finished at 8pm. 

The world is in our hands. It's left to us, guys. We gotta do something with it.

Steve didn't want to seem desperate, but something about Ceci had captured his attention for the first time in... well in over seventy years. He'd barely been able to stay focused through the meeting, instead thinking about the brunette barista he'd met earlier. 

Otherwise, Thanos should have killed all of us.

He took a deep breath and dialed the number.

"Hello? Steve?" He smiled at her warm voice, her familiar greeting a reminder that his name and number were saved in her phone. He wondered if she'd been as excited to see his name as he was to hear her voice. "Yeah, hi Ceci! How was the rest of your shift?" He stood and made his way to the door of the meeting hall.

"Good, I'm just finishing a few things up. Your meeting was good?"

"Yeah, it was. I won't keep you long if you're still finishing up at work. I know this is quick, since we just met and all, but...  Are you free tonight? Would you like to get together this evening?" There was a short pause and a seed of doubt grew in Steve. Maybe this was too fast. "If it's too late I understand. I'm sure you're tired after standing on your feet all day, and–"

She stopped his rambling, interrupting him with her answer. "Meet me in front of the coffee shop?"

"Can you give me fifteen minutes? I hate to keep you waiting but it'll take me that long in traffic."

"Fifteen minutes is perfect. I'll see you then, Steve."

Steve smiled, almost bouncing as he walked up to his motorcycle. "See you, Ceci." He shook his head in disbelief as he looked down at his phone before pocketing it. He was really doing this.

*****

True to his word, fifteen minutes later Steve Rogers pulled up in front of the coffee shop on his motorcycle. Ceci was waiting outside the coffee shop, bundled up in a coat, scarf and gloves with two coffee cups in hand.

"I'm so sorry to keep you waiting," he said as he lowered his own scarf from around his face.

"It's no problem at all." She held out one of the cups in her hand. "Here, I made you a coffee, to go."