Chapter 5

Ceci stood beside Steve as they watched the rest of the group drive away, Bruce sitting sideways and a bit scrunched over in the back of the car but waving and smiling at them.

"I really like your friends," Ceci said with a grin as she waved goodbye back at Bruce.

Steve let out a happy hum, the warmth in his heart for this woman had only grown while watching his friends interact with her. "I'm really glad. They're basically my family now. And I think it's safe to say the feeling is mutual. They loved you and I think Nat may try and adopt you."

Ceci giggled. "There are worse situations to be in I suppose... So," Ceci changed topics as she turned towards him. "Should we go get my car and start the drive?'

"You know," he drew out as he glanced between her and the sidewalk leading away from the cafe. An idea sprouting in his mind. "I'm pretty sure Bruce and Scott, with Nat's help, have things well under control for a few hours at the compound. What would you say to having that date right now?"

He watched her smile grow. "Hmm, you have something specific in mind?"

"Nothing fancy, just some more time together. I was thinking about a walk around Central Park and lunch from a food truck before we head upstate?"

Ceci nodded. "That sounds perfect."

Thirty minutes later they were walking through Central Park when he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. He slipped his hand in his pocket and pulled the phone out, taking a quick glance. It was a text from Scott.

Scott: Natasha says you should invite Ceci to stay over at the compound.

Steve chuckled and shook his head.

"What is it?" Ceci asked as she watched him slip the phone back in his pocket without responding.

"Scott is now a go between for Nat's sneaky meddling ways."

"Meddling?" Cecilia questioned.

"She says I should ask you to stay over at the compound. She had Scott text me since she's driving."

"Oh, I couldn't do that. I would just be in the way. Especially with this special project you're working on."

Steve hadn't told Ceci yet about their idea for time travel. He wanted to. He intended to, in fact he was thinking of sitting down here in the park with her and telling her everything. The whole world knew about Thanos and had a vague understanding of the infinity stones and the power they held. But he wanted to share it from his perspective. He wanted... no he needed... to share with her about the hurt that still settled in the pit of his stomach when he thought of that day in Wakanda when they lost to Thanos. He hoped things worked out with Ceci, he wanted a long term relationship with her, and that meant bringing her into the inner circle of trust about what had happened five years ago as well as what could happen in the next few days.

He had already felt strongly that he could trust Cecilia Quin, and that was before Nat had insisted on running a background check on her as soon as he had told the assassin about her several days ago. He'd argued with his friend about it and in the end they compromised–Nat would run the check, but promised she wouldn't share the details with him.

He was pulled out of his thoughts as her words sunk in. "You wouldn't be in the way." He corrected her. "The compound is a big place, and I think Nat is looking for an excuse to get to know you better. I wouldn't mind it either. I'd love it. I just don't want you to feel rushed into anything, and–"

Ceci stopped her forward motion so fast that Steve was several steps ahead before he stopped and turned to her as she looked up at him. "Steve, do you want me to stay overnight with you?"