Chapter 4-Anyone Who Doesn't Have a #2 Pencil is a Failure

BUZZ, BUZZ, BUZZ.

"Please! Please don't leave me! Please. PLEASE!" I sobbed to the two fuzzy figures that slowly walked away from me.

I sunk to my knees, crying hard. What did I do? Why did they leave me? Did they not...love me?

BUZZ, BUZZ, BUZZ.

They faded away. Gone. A dark, cold voice hissed around me, "they hate you. They didn't want you.
They left you. You. Aren't. Special. You are NOTHING."

The darkness circled me, leaving me with a spotlight of light surrounded by pitch black. Then the circle got smaller. And smaller. Then I was in complete darkness.

BUZZ, BUZZ, BUZZ.

I shot up from my bed. I realized quickly I was drenched in sweat and my face was wet with tears. Wiping my brow, I padded across my bedroom's plush carpet to the window. I showed the curtains aside and peered out the glass. The sun was just peaking up from under the ground. I checked my clock and groaned when it read 5:03.

Acknowledging the fact that I probably wouldn't be able to fall asleep again, I pulled on a pair of leggings and a sweatshirt, snatched my grey converse, and yanked my hair caramel-brown hair in messy bun. Once I was all ready, I proceeded to flop down on my bed and stare at the ceiling. I know—I'm a very interesting and exciting person.

I would normally hop on my skateboard and explore Seattle, but Nick and Alesha are still sleeping and they'd have a major freak-out if they got up and I wasn't at home.

Or I'd bang on my drums, which I'd been playing for a solid two years, but it would be too loud. Drums had been a way to release my emotions and I loved music so... I thought I'd give it a shot. It's been really fun so far.

But still. Too loud. So I laid there and daydreamed. I dreamed that I was a heroine that conquered armies like in the fantasy books I read. I was a hero. People liked me. I had friends.

Okay, let's get this straight real quick. I'm not some emo loner. I realized that my hobbies and let be real here, lack of friends, makes me sound like it, but I'm not. My appearance is no where near looking like that, with my love for sweatshirts, leggings and, sue me, (wait actually don't but still) crocs. I solely rely on crocs and converse. And one pair of vans. But mostly crocs and converse.

I don't have super goth makeup, though I respect the confidence of people that do, in fact, I don't wear makeup at all. I'm thirteen years old! Why would I wear makeup in seventh grade?!

My hair is long, with a caramel-brown color. My skin is a light tan, the only physical trait that hints at my Hispanic heritage. Well, I am short. I guess that kinda counts. I tower over everyone at a scary five foot zero.

My eyes are dark brown—almost black—but I always thought they were ugly. My eyes aren't all dark brown. They have these very noticeable golden flecks in them that stand out like crazy and make my eyes very startling to people.

I also have freckles. They're what Alesha calls "a pixie dusting" which I find ironic considering my name means mischievous faerie. Basically, I just have a few tiny freckles across my nose and cheeks. They're also an odd shade. They were golden, like the flecks in my eyes. I was always self conscious of them because they looked like I spilled glitter all over my hands then touched my face. People always told me "Oh you have something on your face, dear!" Or they'd gesture on their face where I had a freckle on my face and say "I think you have a little fleck of glitter there!"

It was exhausting. Especially when they wouldn't believe me when I told them it was natural. Makes me think I'm a freak. Oh, the teenage insecurities!

That's why I sink into daydreams of being a magical heroine who saves the world. It's immature and people probably think I'm to old to have imaginary fantasies, but it's a way for me to forget myself and my insecurities.