𖠁♜𖠁

After sleeping soundly for the first night in weeks, Violet awoke feeling strangely paranoid. Spiders crawled across the lining of her stomach and moths fluttered their wings through her throat. She got dressed, pulling on her signature outfit and braiding her hair before packing her bags so they could leave once sunrise painted the horizon.

She greeted Johnny and Gyro, both of them bleary-eyed and messy with slumber as they leisurely loaded their luggage. She stood at the door, barely inside the chipping frame as she waited patiently. This resulted in a slightly muddled stare from Gyro and a knowing sigh from Johnny. They packed up, leaving behind a boyish mess in their room. Violet helped Johnny down the stairs while Gyro carried down his wheelchair, groaning about how the hotel couldn't have given them a bottom room.

"So, what's the best route from here?" Johnny asked once they exited the building and crossed the desolate streets. Tourists were either asleep or already at their next destination. Their pit stop was over and soon they would have to face the road once again, facing the trials and enemies that came along with it.

Gyro shrugged, moving behind Violet to check for the map in her bag strapped to her back, then walking in front of Johnny so he could see. Unfolding it, he took a few seconds to follow certain paths with his finger. "This one doesn't seem too bad, I think it could work."

Violet turned to see where he pointed to, following the road with her own eyed and humming in agreement. "We have to be careful though, it's going to be a popular route."

"Let's see then," Gyro frowned in concentration, going back to read the map. It was a struggle, but Violet gave a short briefing on how to locate things and follow trails. He's a quick learner, so it could have been worse.

Approaching the outdoor stable, Violet pet the snout of her horse, stroking his mane and ensuring he had eaten and drank. She moved to his rear, securing her baggage before turning to see both men across from her. Gyro stuffed the map in his back pocket to pack, helping  Johnny with his bags before doing his own. "So, Violet, what's his name?" Gyro asked. "You already know Valkyrie and Slow Dancer, but we don't know what you've named him yet."

Tilting her head, her hands wandered back to his mane. "I'm unsure, I don't believe he has one."

"Man, are you serious? What if he gets lost?" Johnny questioned in disbelief. "Slow Dancer only really responds if I call him by his name."

Gyro agreed. "Valkyrie's a real tough 'gal, only listens to me when I say her name."

Violet pondered their words. Perhaps it was something she needed to do, yet it hadn't crossed her mind. "Then, may I request help? I've never named a horse before."

"It's not difficult, just look real hard, and something will come to mind," said Johnny. She followed his advice, gazing at the stallion before her with the concentration of a soldier going to war. She drew a blank.

"Remember to breathe, you might go purple if you stare any harder," Gyro laughed. Taking a deep breath, Violet tried again to think up a name. Maybe something to do with his colouration, or possibly something to do with his steely personality. Or a name that clicks with his past?

"I apologize, nothing has come to mind," she sighed, disappointed with herself. As though also let down, the horse huffed and knocked its head against her ribs, throwing her off balance. A rare moment, but the force of the hit and Violet's unexpected visage sent her tumbling to the ground. Falling back into her hands, she caught herself before she could land on her behind.