Chapter 13: Forgiveness

Joanne watched from her office window as Robert and Nia chatted over coffee in the employee lounge. She frowned to herself, feeling a twinge of irritation at the sight of them together. It wasn't that she didn't like Nia - in fact, she had come to respect her over the past few weeks. But she couldn't shake the feeling that Robert was getting too close to her, and she didn't want him to make a mistake.

She picked up the phone and dialed Robert's number. "Robert, I need to see you in my office," she said briskly.

Robert looked up from his conversation with Nia, surprise evident on his face. "Uh, sure. Be there in a minute," he replied, hanging up the phone.

Nia raised an eyebrow at him. "Everything okay?"

"I don't know," Robert said with a sigh, standing up from the table. "My mom wants to see me in her office."

Nia's expression softened. "Well, don't keep her waiting. I'll see you later."

Robert gave her a small smile before turning and heading down the hallway to his mother's office.

When he arrived, Joanne was waiting for him, looking stern. "Robert, I need to talk to you about something," she said, gesturing for him to take a seat.

He sat down opposite her, feeling uneasy. "What's going on?"

"I don't think you should be spending so much time with Nia," Linda said bluntly.

Robert bristled at her words. "What? Why not? She's been a huge help on the project, and she's a great person."

"I know that, Robert. But you need to be careful," Linda said, her voice taking on a maternal tone. "She's not the right person for you. I want you to focus on your career and your future, not get tied down in a relationship."

Robert felt his frustration growing. "Mom, I appreciate your concern, but I'm capable of making my own decisions. And I happen to think Nia is a great match for me."

Joanne's expression softened slightly. "Robert, please. You know I only want what's best for you."

"I know, but that doesn't mean you get to dictate my life," Robert said firmly.

There was a tense silence between them for a few moments before Joanne spoke again. "Fine. If that's what you want, then I won't interfere. But just be careful, Robert. You don't want to make a mistake that could hurt your career."

"I know," Robert said, standing up. "Thanks for your concern, Mom. I'll see you later."

As he walked out of her office, he felt a mixture of relief and frustration. He knew his mother meant well, but he couldn't let her dictate his life. And he couldn't deny the growing feelings he had for Nia, no matter how much he tried to suppress them.