Kabanata 12

Veric

"Hindi ko kayang iwan si Cal dito," I stated. "He'll be coming with us to Italy."

I went into my walk-in closet and started rummaging through the neat rows of designer clothes and shoes. I shrugged on a white Balenciaga t-shirt and a pair of Levis. Once dressed, lumabas ako sa closet at hinarap ulit si Hexon. "The only problem would be Cal's exposure to the enemy since it's not just an annual reunion of the members of the Clan, but a business negotiation as well with a rival one."

Hexon's features hardened. "That's suicide."

Aminado ako roon. I nodded stiffly, my teeth digging into the inside of my bottom lip in aggravation. "I can't believe the Godfather is letting this happen. This is basically inviting a war into your own kingdom. Other Clans can't be trusted, especially the Bianchi."

Hexon and I were both part of the Sangria Clan, and every year, like most Mafia Clans in Italy, a Conclave was being held. It was an annual gathering for all of the Families under the same Clan they belonged to.

Back when I was a kid, I'd attended these kind of events, and more so than not, it hadn't been memorable. Maybe because I'd fucking loathed socializing with the other Families.

And it wouldn't make any difference now, even though I was already a high-ranking official in the organization--a capocrimine of the Mavros Family. Somehow, my social status in the Clan's hierarchy didn't influence my strong dislike for the Conclave.

Hated it then, still hating it now.

"Boss, what about Vanessa and Salvatore? They won't be ecstatic to discover that you stole Cal. They'd be furious," Hexon argued.

"Fuck them," I grunted. On the night table, I poured myself a glass of scotch from the bottle I usually kept available next to my bed.

"Marami kang kailangang ipaliwanag sa kanila 'pag nagkita kayong tatlo," dagdag ng consigliere ko.

Bringing the glass to my lips, I drank slowly before speaking. "I am a don, a capocrimine. I basically outrank them."

"But you being a capocrimine wouldn't stop them from lashing out at you," Hexon reasoned. "Kababata mo sila. They won't see a boundary."

I scoffed. "I'll handle them, Hexon. Your job is not to be keep tabs on our drama. Your job would be to bodyguard me and Cal during the Conclave. Notify Astriel. Both of you would be our security detail."

"Copy that, boss," sabi ni Hexon. He might have noticed the sudden appearance of a deep frown marring my forehead, because he asked, "What is it, boss?"

"I need Abby," I admitted.

Hexon was surprised. "What for? She won't be necessary."

"In fact, she is."

"Cal will be seeing his real mother soon. We could leave out Vanessa's poor imitation."

Yumukom ang panga ko, at ramdam ko rin ang agarang pag-igting ng bawat kalamnan sa katawan ko. Mentioning Abby hit a nerve, and now I could feel my eyes blazing with intensity as I glared sharply at Hexon.

Hexon looked back at me, sensing the shift in my demeanor. He was probably wondering what he'd said wrong, but I could't bring myself to explain it to him.

Because even I had no idea what had just happened; why I'd become defensive of her being bad-mouthed.

So, I explained what I had in mind instead to Hexon, about the shitshow we were currently in. "The Clan never knew about Cal's existence because Vanessa and Salvatore had kept him away from the public's eye, even from the Godfather."